Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Dance Studio Pro vs. Jackrabbit
By StudioOwner5678Premium member
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:08 PM

My studio has used Jackrabbit for over 6 years. I'm shopping around to see if it's still the best choice for us.

I came across Dance Studio Pro yesterday, and I have to say I'm IMPRESSED!!!! I'm currently playing around with it via free 30-day trial.

Here are some of the features that stood out to me (that JR doesn't offer, or at least doesn't do nearly as well):

- Class App: There's an app that teachers can log into (from their smart phone or ipad) with a listing of all of their classes. They can clock in and out for the day (time clock), there is a lesson planning feature that's really cool, teachers can take attendance from the app directly AND you can upload a playlist of music for each class!! I've never seen anything like this. It's pretty amazing.

- I also love their recital & costume modules, it does everything JR does and more.

- There is a feature called "Personal Assistant" where you can automatically CALL, TEXT or EMAIL people when they need to update their credit card, or are late on payments. Holy Smokes!!! I currently pay an office manager $40,000/year to basically do that.

- You can also call, text or email (JR emails only) classes, individual students or the whole studio with reminders, notices, or last minute school closures, etc.

- In general, I like that it's designed JUST for dance studios. JR is more generalized for "children's classes" so it can be used for swimming, music, karate, gymnastics. It's nice to use software that uses our industry verbiage. I'm finding that with Dance Studio Pro. Plus there are little features just for us dance studios, like you can list which classes are in the recital or not. For example, most of our classes perform at the end of the year, but some of our classes are technique only. It's a little thing, but I like it (among all of the other cool features).

Here's the cherry on top- it's only $30/mo!!!!!!! I currently pay $155/mo for Jackrabbit. I have to say, I was in love with Dance Studio Pro until I saw the price. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to pay less, but the price is so low it makes me more nervous than anything. Just seems too good to be true.

So.... does anyone currently use Dance Studio Pro? Do you love it? Anyone make the switch from Jackrabbit to Dance Studio Pro?? Am I being blinded by some of the cool bells and whistles with Dance Studio Pro? Would I be losing some important features from Jackrabbit??

If anyone has an experience to share, I'd REALLY love to hear about it.

16 Replies to Dance Studio Pro vs. Jackrabbit

re: Dance Studio Pro vs. Jackrabbit
By BE_dancestudios
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 05:57 PM
I love it...my only complaint is they have decided to charge for the robodialer feature.

Totally, sucks....but I guess, saving everywhere else, makes it worth while.
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 08:28 PM
Glad to hear you love it! Did you happen to use Jackrabbit before? Just curious.

As I play around with it more, it's definitely less "powerful" than Jackrabbit. Jackrabbit is a very capable database and I love that I can customize the reports to learn more about student activity- like retention over time for different classes, different teachers, etc. Dance Studio Pro is more streamlined and simple- not sure if that's a pro or a con yet.
By BE_dancestudios
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 05:53 PM
No I nevered used Jackrabbit but I used the Studio Manager.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:15 AM
I just started with Dance Studio Pro. We went 'live' on April 1st. Can I just say how much I LOVE it? But then again, I wasn't on any kind of program before, just used my own Excel charts and such, so nothing to compare it to. It is saving me so much time that I basically want to cry from happiness. I'm a newbie user and only know the basics but so far it is working smoothly and most of my families have started using the parent portal right off the bat. Yay! :)
By amylilbit
On Tue Apr 08, 2014 06:56 PM
Good to hear! I am playing with the free trial of Dance Studio Pro now and, like, you, and moving from my own spreadsheets to this. It feels like a dream!
By amylilbit
On Wed Apr 09, 2014 01:35 PM
I am playing with it and just realized you don't seem to be able to register for classes unless you are already a parent of the school. Is this true? I was hoping for something to allow new clients to register easier with me!
On Wed Apr 09, 2014 06:16 PM
I just wanted to follow up with my experience. While Dance Studio Pro does offer some pretty neat features, once I got down to "brass tacks" it was apparent that it's not nearly as powerful as Jackrabbit. I think Dance Studio Pro is great if you have a small studio or are just starting out. Heck it's only $30/mo!

We require automatic payment, and are big into online registration so Jackrabbit integrates that all with a major credit card and eft processor much better and at better rates. Dance Studio Pro uses Paypal primarily, which is fine if you are just starting out but I'm not going to run $700K in sales through Paypal. Dance Studio Pro also doesn't have all of the reporting capabilities like Jackrabbit does. We track retention, lifetime value, etc for each type of student (by age, by level, etc). I've decided to stick with Jackrabbit, though I did write them an email requesting some of the "extra" bells and whistles that I found through Dance Studio Pro. Ideally, we could get all of this in one place!
By BE_dancestudios
On Thu Apr 10, 2014 03:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken you can also run credit cards through stripe.
By SarahLynn
On Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:57 AM
** IMPORTANT SECURITY GLITCH IN DANCE STUDIO-PRO!!!! **

Hi everyone,

So I was playing around today with the free trial of Dance Studio Pro (DSP), and discovered a HUGE security glitch. I wanted to share it with you, I know I would want to know as a studio owner!!

Basically what happened was, while I had a window where I was signed in as the studio owner of my own school, I had another window open doing research. I found a school that was using DSP online, and decided to go through the registration to see what it looked like to a parent. After signing on as a contact to that school (lets call it STARS), I went back to the window where I has been signed in as a studio owner for my own school (still following?).
In that window, instead of being signed in as a studio owner of my own school, I was signed in as a studio owner of STARS!!!!! I had access to ALL of the student and parent information, including their address, numbers, email, everything!!! Plus the ability to add, delete, change, etc all classes, teachers, EVERYTHING.

Needless to say, I won't be getting DSP. I did contact them to inform them of what happened as well. Scary!!!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 19, 2014 08:18 PM
^ What was their response? The way that I found out how the program looks from the parent end of things was to create a mock student account and then I sent the private passcode that you send to parents to myself using my personal email instead of my business one so as to no confuse things. Then I could go in as the 'parent' and see my imaginary student, practice using the parent functions, etc.
By SarahLynn
On Sun Apr 20, 2014 08:38 AM
I haven't heard back from them yet, I don't imagine I'll hear anything until Tuesday as it's a long weekend.

Yeah that would have been a good way to do it, I never even thought of that, haha. It was definitely a totally random glitch as I don't think too many people would be in that situation, but still!
By amylilbit
On Sun Apr 27, 2014 07:31 PM
Oh my goodness, I just started paying for this and was getting ready to put in all my parent/student data. I've had a feeling this wasn't quite top-notch and am now thinking I'd better not skimp out in this department for the good price. Thanks for the heads up!
re: Dance Studio Pro vs. Jackrabbit (karma: 1)
By DanceStudioPro
On Mon Apr 28, 2014 01:17 PM
Edited by DanceStudioPro (266505) on 2014-04-28 13:17:54
Hello everyone,

My name is Stanley and I'm one of the owners of DanceStudio-pro. While we do not typically respond to internet forum posts, when it comes to security, we feel that it is critical to act immediately and at the source.

First, let me say thank you so much for your consideration of dancestudio-pro. We feel honored that you would consider us to help manage and enhance your business.

DanceStudio-Pro is an enterprise class software solution built by some of the best developers in the world. As with any software, there will be bugs, but when it comes to the security of your data, we feel there is no room for mistakes. Just to make sure that your data remains safe, we contract an external auditing firm every month to verify our security and attempt to hack our systems. We are the only software in the industry that does this.

We have reviewed SarahLynn's statements, but unfortunately, our team has been unable to reproduce the issue. We certainly aren't saying that this didn't happen, nor would we try to hide from any issue. Our goal is to have the safest solution available and we invest heavily to make sure it stays that way.

We always welcome your feedback.

Kind Regards,
Stanley
DanceStudio-Pro.com
By Dancequeen924
On Tue Apr 29, 2014 07:25 PM
I am a new studio owner searching for a studio software, where can I purchase the dance studio pro?
By dvduval
On Sun May 04, 2014 06:26 PM
I'd be curious to know what other software products are out there that you have tried like mindbodyonline.com or dancestudiomanager.com or maybe something else?
re: Dance Studio Pro vs. Jackrabbit vs. PrimeTime
By twothepointe1
On Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:32 PM
I know this is an old thread. I tried DSP this past month, it seemed clumsy to use. I didn't like JackRabbit at all, its way over the top complicated and the pricing is a bit much, we have over 200 students and paying nearly $100 a month seems a bit steep.

I was at Teacher Summit earlier this month and tried out PrimeTime at their booth. I liked how it was all icon based and everything for each task was grouped together and was simple.

Has anyone else tried Primetime software ?

ReplySendWatch