Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

Tap - Competitions
Tap comp dance.....can't have a kick line??
By ziggymistyPremium member Comments: 220, member since Sun Feb 04, 2007
On Sun Apr 06, 2014 06:08 AM

We are new to competitions and I just can't get over some of the comments we got on our tap routine.
First, we tap on wood and the floor was Marley, so they all commented on how they couldn't hear our tap sounds. This routine has done well at the other two competitions we attended. One was on wood and one on Marley.
We consider ourselves a strong tap school. Our routine included winged time steps, fake winged time steps, wings (really worked on getting all of our sounds) shuffle step step step.....Basically, the whole routine was packed with TAP......not stomping around! The tap song was high energy and at the end they did a kick line.....which was awesome and the girls were together.
We scored the lowest of the taps in our category. One of the judges said....Kick line in Tap??? Ummmmm.....have you heard of the Rockettes?????
We tap on our toes! Most of the other groups just stomped around. What I saw was mostly paradiddles with a couple flaps and shuffles...no time steps.
So, in the future, should we just stomp around? One of the groups that got the highest honor had jazz tricks, like summersaults in the dance!!! Really???
Sorry.....just frustrated!!

4 Replies to Tap comp dance.....can't have a kick line??

re: Tap comp dance.....can't have a kick line??
By miss_anna_dance Comments: 637, member since Fri Oct 21, 2005
On Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:09 PM
A lot of competitions don't necessarily have tap judges... and it's only 3 peoples opinions. I tell the kids Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one but I don't necessarily need to see it or hear about it =) Best of luck in your future competitions!
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 PM
Worrerstand you are frustrated, but I think you need to develop a better attitude regarding competitions--you should model the kids of wisdom and acceptance you want from your kids. There could be many reasons you got the comments you got, including judges that don't know tap, or judges that DO know tap but don't like your dance. It is worth the effort to create quality dance, and to teach your children. Don't allow one lower score in a competition invalidate your work, or your students work. Don't let it make you bitter or Hateful to other dance groups either...it is really unbecoming.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:10 AM
I am a tapper and putting your tap choreo out there is tough due to judges not knowing squat about tap, and dance being very subjective. Some people like broadway tap, others like rhythm/hoofing. Broadway tap usually scores better at Showstoppers, Cathy Roe etc. A rhythm tap dance is going to score better at JUMP with Mike Minnery being a judge.

Don't start second guessing and trying to choreograph stuff that you think will win. You start compromising your style and you sell out. Stay true to yourself, take some of the valid critiques to get better, and dismiss the rest. I once had a judge say "don't scrape your shuffles"...except they were wings!! lol. I tell all my tappers that it isn't about the award. They are ambassadors of tap and bringing it to all the people in the audience who might have negatives ideas about it. So, if they make someone in the audience say, "Hey that tap dance was good!" Then we won!
By ziggymistyPremium member Comments: 220, member since Sun Feb 04, 2007
On Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:04 AM
Thank you all so much for your input!! All of it, I needed to hear! Our tap was a fast Latin dance, really fun!! We did really well at Showstoppers with it and got the judges award from Dena Rizzo at another one. Thanks again!

ReplySendWatch