Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
Is it possible to hand dye this? If so how?
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:26 AM

I got this amazing little vest from H&M
www.hm.com . . .

I got the light blue color and it works perfect because so many of the shirts I have are waaaay to big in in the arms so major side boob is an issue, but they look amazing everywhere else. So I just slip this little thing on over and leave it open like a vest and it is super cute.

The only thing is I really don't want to only have the blue one, I would love to have it in other colors. Problem? They only come in the blue color I already have, and white.

I was thinking would it be possible to dye one of the white ones?

It would be nice to have a black one, and maybe one in a "funky" color.

From what I can see the product details say it is 100% cotton. I don't know if this makes a difference when dying fabrics or not.

I think the other challenge might be with the buttons. Obviously I don't want them to be completely wrecked because it would be a pain having to replace every single one. But if I had to I do know how to do that.

So any suggestions?

7 Replies to Is it possible to hand dye this? If so how?

re: Is it possible to hand dye this? If so how?
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 01:38 AM
I think that would be totally dyable. I am a fan of RIT dye, either the washing machine cold water version or the hot water version (I have a bit pot that I use on the stove when I hot water dye). Dying is really easy, buy the stuff and follow the instructions. I will say though, I have have never successfully dyed something black, it always comes up charcoal grey for me.
By Jennifer71 Comments: 690, member since Sun Jan 25, 2004
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 01:53 AM
The fabric sounds dyeable, but you also have to think about the thread. Once I tried to dye a pair of jeans black, and the thread must have been polyester instead of cotton, because it remained stubbornly orange!
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 06:52 AM
Jennifer71 is quite right about the thread, a lot of sewing threads are 100% polyester so that might not change colour but the fabric of the blouse should take dye very well as it's cotton.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 07:16 AM
^ Yep. Also, in my experience, denim sucks up colour like nobody's business, so make sure you use a pretty heavy dye/water ratio and don't dilute it too much.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 07:26 AM
Image hotlink - 'http://www.armandhammer.com/siteimages/Product/Large_Vert/e1f2ac0c-ab22-45dc-b0df-057a7e8fda5c.png'
If you soak it overnight in washing soda it will take the dye better.

Good luck

Keep On Dancing*
re: Is it possible to hand dye this? If so how? (karma: 2)
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2956, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:06 PM
Everyone's right about watching the threads--which may or may not matter depending on what color you want to dye it.

I don't recommend RIT dye, though. It's an all-purpose dye, so it's not really designed for super-permanent dyeing clothing. If the fabric is a compatible fiber, you're way better off with a fiber reactive dye, which means it actually reacts with the fabric itself and is completely permanent (barring bleach) and won't ever fade.

I get mine from www.dharmatrading.com . . .. I have used their dyes with success a bunch of times, and while the process is a bit more involved than with something like RIT, I think it's fun, and you get better results. The color is much more vibrant. And they have just about any shade of any color you could think of.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Apr 09, 2014 03:48 AM
Y'all are on crack about the thread. I have dyed tons and TONS of stuff over the years, and I have NEVER seen a 100% cotton garment sewn with polyester thread. This shirt will take the dye fine. Just wash it first, and don't use any fabric softener. And yeah, super-dark colors like black or midnight blue are practically impossible to achieve at home. Also you don't want to use super-hot water with cotton because you might shrink it. Use warm water instead, and let it soak a bit longer. Other than that, just follow the directions on the dye, and it'll be fine.

ReplySendWatch