Forum: Irish / Irish

Sweating
By Festivaldancer1
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 03:42 AM

Does anyone else sweat a ridiculous amount whenever they're practising/performing? I do if I'm dancing for a while, and it's starting to annoy me a bit - is there anything that anyone does that could maybe help?

4 Replies to Sweating

re: Sweating
By Lunamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 08:27 AM
Sweating is the body's natural way to cool down your body's temperature so you don't overheat, this is a good thing. Some people sweat more than others, everyone is different. Drink more water this may help and maybe invest in some "sweat wicking" t-shirts that are made out of a breathable and absorbing fabric. There are some clinical deodorants that can help shrink your pores (or something like that) so you sweat less under your arms.

In reality sweat is good and it means you are really working your body and burning calories, it may be unpleasant sometimes but everyone at dance class is probably just as sweaty as you are.
By ReelJiggered
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 03:36 PM
Oh yes! I sweat A LOT. I always know it's a good class when you can see the complete outline of my sports bra on my t-shirt. Don't worry about it - you're an athlete. Athletes are supposed to sweat!

Just an additional note: I bought a moisture-wicking shirt for under my dress and cut the neck out and that's helped to prevent damage.

K
By byudawn
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 03:56 PM
Edited by byudawn (224140) on 2014-04-07 15:57:21
Edited by byudawn (224140) on 2014-04-07 15:58:11
I teach a nursery class on Sundays with a woman who sweats (and smells ;) tons when she is active or nervous. Just last month she apologized and said she had talked to her doctor (or dermatologist?) and was getting a special deodorant or something that lasts about 2 months, and she applies every week or two?. Well, she did and she seriously said that it works wonderfully well and she's so glad she did it--she said it wasn't way expensive either. Sorry I don't have more detailed info, and don't remember. She's just so glad she isn't sweating buckets anymore (or smelling ;) and grateful for this deodorant stuff. (I think you need a prescription for it though?)
By monkeybiz329member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 07, 2014 05:09 PM
I'm with you. I sweat buckets during class, and at feises. In the summertime, I bring several shirts to class and change them out every hour, and an extra dry one for the ride home so I don't get a chill. At shows and feises, I wear a Paddy K top (paddykelleher.blogspot.com . . .) and bring a sweat towel for my face so my makeup doesn't run. I've found that wearing a bun wig significantly cuts down on my sweating now. My dance teachers will joke about it all the time (Erin, I'm disappointed, it looks like you're not working hard tonight! *I look like I just took a shower*) but it's all in good fun. My mom always tells me I have a VERY efficient cooling system.

ReplySendWatch