Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

help!!!
By belen2394
On Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:56 PM

I've been on pointe for almost 2 years now, however I have trouble getting on it properly. I have a low arch, low flexibility, and I don't know why I tend to put all of the weight on the toes to the side, rather than on my big toe. I've tried to control this but I can't. I'm not sure if the whole issue can be solved with a better pointe shoe, or if I should just give up and accept the fact that my feet are damaged. :(

I'm tired of my feet looking really ugly :(

ps: sorry for my bad english, I speak spanish

3 Replies to help!!!

re: help!!!
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Sat Apr 12, 2014 05:32 AM
Your English is great. I would try to get a better shoe. What are you wearing now?

Low arch and low flexibility may indicate you need a softer shank on your shoes, and a lower vamp.

Can you be re-fitted where you are?
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 14, 2014 08:12 PM
In addition to the excellent advice given, you might migrate your weight to your little toes because you're relying on your outer quads and not on your inner thighs.

If your ankles are not kept forward, it might be an indication that you're not using your turnout and your quads are taking over. If so, this is a technique issue. Remember, that if you're not working correctly, it doesn't really matter how long you're doing something. You start to build real strength through doing the exercise correctly. Then the strength is built in the correct muscle group and you acquire muscle memory.

Don't give up. Try the new shoes as suggested and if you're still having problems, rethink your technique. Be smart and logically and think things through. Ballet is very logical and orderly so this is key.
By purpledancer03
On Fri Jun 06, 2014 02:35 PM
I would start by asking your teacher for some foot stretches. What shoes are you wearing? You might want to try a shoe with a softer shank. If foot stretches don't work (keep stretching them) ask your teacher if you can get new shoes and see if that helps. Just remember to keep strengthening and stretching your feet!

Hope I helped!(I am kinda new to this site)

ReplySendWatch