Forum: Arts / Fashion

Fashion
Crop tops. How to wear?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:54 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-04-13 00:03:04
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-04-13 00:10:20

I really like outfit +2. The one with the white skirt and the black shirt.

I was wondering if crop tops can be " classy"? I have the figure to pull it off, and my cleavage won't be showing. I don't plan on wearing this to church or work or anything like that.

I've heard women say that crop tops are reserved for younger women like 18/19; I am going to be 24.

Opinion on how to wear crop tops without them being trashy? I think a tight stomach is sexy and I want to show that off, without is veering into " too sexy trashy" if that makes sense.
( Just to clarify, I am not saying that a not tight stomach is ugly. I just happen to have worked like crazy for the last year on my stomach so I want to show them off on a date night with my boyfriend)

I am guessing that my crop top should hit right around belly button length and I should wear high waisted skirts or looser pants? Are tight pencil skirts better or more of a flare?

I haven't worn crop tops in public before and I want to make sure I don't look like a total idiot trying them for the first time this summer! I just bought 2 from Target and I am raiding my closet to figure out how to pair them!!!

6 Replies to Crop tops. How to wear?

re: Crop tops. How to wear?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:25 AM
Here are some ideas that I had. I have both styles of the crop top and I also saw a bunch of cute longer dresses at Target today. I wanted to go next weekend to go and pickup some things to pair with my new crop tops.

If you can , please post a photo of your suggestion. I am a visual person and need a photo to understand what you are saying.

I tried to pair my crop top with shorts, and I looked like a 1990's nightmare! No more of that!
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:31 AM
I'd love to figure out how to wear crop tops too. I just bought a black one with short sleeves, figuring it would be pretty easy to style, but I'm not sure what to do with mine either.

The little sliver of skin is definitely the thing to do, not a big swath of ab below the navel like in the late 90s, so I planned to wear mine with a relatively high-waisted skirt or a pair of skinny sailor pants. I think they look better with more of an a-line skirt than a pencil skirt though because I find they kind of exaggerate proportions...and I really don't want to go full Kardashian and look all-boobs, all-hips. And I think the ones with a bit of sleeve are nicer than the strappy ones unless you're at Coachella. I saw one last week with long sleeves and a front and back V (like a ballet leotard) that I might go back and buy too because I think it looked quite elegant and emphasized collarbones in a nice way.

So, yeah...basically, what i think is that if I'm showing a sliver of midriff, I'm going to cover my legs to the knee at least (and not be skintight over my hips) and try to stick to tops with some sleeve, to keep the skin showing under control. But I look forward to someone with a more developed fashion sense's opinion.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Wed Apr 23, 2014 02:32 PM
I was at a graduation last night and one of the girls was wearing a crop top. Fine. Whatever. However she had paired it with the shortest mini skirt (she had to cover her crotch with her degree as she walked down the stairs) I have ever seen.

The photos you have posted are classier, and more modest. It's all about how you wear it. Crop tops and shorts with your bum hanging out? No thanks.

I wish I could wear them, my belly just wasn't made for showing off!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Thu Apr 24, 2014 07:42 AM
I never saw these stateside but I went to London recently and they were all over the place. I think you have the right idea to successfully styling them. Whatever you pair it with, it has to be long, loose-fitting and high waisted. My friend wore them with pants, but they were high waisted harem-style pants. Anything tighter than that is pretty goofy.
re: Crop tops. How to wear? (karma: 1)
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Fri Apr 25, 2014 06:24 AM
^ anything tighter and I have visions of Sandy in the final scenes of Grease for some reason...
By MamaLove Comments: 2, member since Sun May 25, 2014
On Sun May 25, 2014 10:23 PM
hey!

So, I have been in search of the name of this certain style of crop top. For some reason it has been really difficult for me to find... The style would include a simple v or u pattern across the belly. I have found only similar styles in belly dance gear. I made my own, which came out very well. I made the strap just one single piece that crosses behind the neck. I added beads to the fringe v across the stomach. I made it loose at the fringe and tight across the chest. If anyone knows what I am talking about, I would be very grateful for a reply C: THANKS

~V~

ReplySendWatch