Forum: Adults / 20 Something

Obamacare/ACA -- is there any way I can stay on my parents after turning 26
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 14, 2014 09:00 PM

So first is it 30 days after you turn 26 or can you stay on through the year of being 26.
If the later is true, is there any way that I can stay on? I'm undergoing mental health treatment which I desperately need. My parent's coverage is amazing.
I'm so stressed and terrified because I'm finally getting help and it's going to end.

2 Replies to Obamacare/ACA -- is there any way I can stay on my parents after turning 26

re: Obamacare/ACA -- is there any way I can stay on my parents after turning 26
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 14, 2014 09:27 PM
It depends on the plan your parents have. Some plans had their own terms before the Affordable Care Act for older children. For example, my mom has Aetna and her plan allows me to stay on the entire calendar year I am 26. I got lucky in that regard because my birthday is in January, I get the entire year. So yes, it is possible to stay on. It's not free by any means (though it never was) but I can stay on until December. You need to call your insurance company and find out about their terms regarding age, family plans etc. If you can't stay on, find out what health plans in your state you're health care providers are accepting. You may qualify for Medicaid (I don't know your financial circumstances at all), but many health care professionals can't afford to take Medicaid patients since they aren't reimbursed well. So that is something I would ask about and look into before making a decision on your health insurance options.
re: Obamacare/ACA -- is there any way I can stay on my parents after turning 26
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 16, 2014 04:58 PM
Contacting your insurance company might actually help. Having the doctors office call, and explain that you have a clear history, that you're working very hard to get help, and you've had no episodes/attacks/other appropriate word since beginning treatment, but you're at risk of losing your coverage if you can't continue treatment (and thus, at risk of the episodes/attacks/other appropriate word returning), and they might come up with some help for you. Actually, just explaining all that to the doctor might do some good too. Sometimes, you have no idea how far people are willing to go for you until you ask. :)

ReplySendWatch