Forum: Adults / Money Matters

Money Matters
Checks
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu Apr 17, 2014 09:31 PM

I just had to order new checks because my address changed. Which I think is silly because I have had one box of checks since 2008 and I've only used 1 and 1/2 books (I still have 3 1/2 books left). But, I need to have them for that one or two things a year that require a check and not a debit card. I know it is not a necessity to have the address updated, but it will bug me that it isn't accurate. I might have reason to use them more often in the future and I don't want to have out dated info on them.

How do I get rid of the ones I haven't used but have the wrong address? Void them all? Shred them?

2 Replies to Checks

re: Checks
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:49 PM
I think you can give them back to the bank, and have them dispose of them securely.
re: Checks
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Apr 19, 2014 06:22 AM
Shred 'em. If you don't own your own shredder, ask where you work to borrow theirs. Also, keep an eye out in the paper of on the community bulletin boards where you live. Many banks are holding "shredder fairs" in the spring where low income people can come and have their stuff shredded for free.

For what it is worth, the cost of home shredders has gone way down. Everyone should have one these days. Even the older strip shred ones are fine. No one has the time to go through your garbage and glue back hundreds of paper strips. You don't need to get the hi-tech ones. Destruction is destruction any way you do it.

ReplySendWatch