Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Trying to Deshank Pointes, but nails won't come out.
By futurepavlova
On Fri Apr 18, 2014 07:04 PM

I got a new pair of pointe shoes, but they didn't fit as well as it seemed in store, so I decided to make them soft blocks. However, I cannot get the shank out! They are Grishko 2007's. My main problem is I can't get to the nail. Any help?

6 Replies to Trying to Deshank Pointes, but nails won't come out.

re: Trying to Deshank Pointes, but nails won't come out.
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 18, 2014 07:24 PM
I've deshanked a couple of pairs of shoes. You need some kind of tool to yank out the nail:either the back end of a hammer (which is designed for ripping out nails, but usually larger ones) or a pair of needlenose pliers, I recommend using the hammer first.

Anyway, the newer the shoe is, the harder the shank will be to get out, because the glue will be stronger and newer. My method is to put on a movie, work the back en of the shoe until the glue separates and you see the nail, use the hammer or pliers to rip out the nail, keep working it lose until you get to another nail down closer to the toe: this one is really hard to get to, so I just work it and wiggle it until the shank is fully separated from the glue and the nail gets loose.
By futurepavlova
On Fri Apr 18, 2014 08:56 PM
Thanks so much for the help! I was looking at tutorials and I realized thank my Grishkos don't have a leather sole, just the shank by itself and some cardboard under that. Would it be best to make a makeshift sole since I won't be using it for pointe work? You really helped me, thanks! I did end up getting the nails out.
By Maile
On Sun Apr 27, 2014 09:29 AM
Use a hammer or a pair of pliers. Hammers are mostly used for getting out bigger nails though
By purpledancer03
On Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:40 PM
Ya I would make the makeshift sole, but I don't know how. It's good that you got the nails out! Sorry I didn't help much but I am kinda new!

-purpledancer03
By purpledancer03
On Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:41 PM
Ya I would make the makeshift sole, but I don't know how. It's good that you got the nails out! Sorry I didn't help much but I am kinda new!

-purpledancer03
By hummingbird
On Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:39 PM
futurepavlova wrote:

Thanks so much for the help! I was looking at tutorials and I realized thank my Grishkos don't have a leather sole, just the shank by itself and some cardboard under that. Would it be best to make a makeshift sole since I won't be using it for pointe work? You really helped me, thanks! I did end up getting the nails out.

The sole or base of the shoe will be leather, not the inside of the shoe. Once you take out the shank, that would be the two layers of cardboard type stuff, and you've made sure all of your nails are removed you just stick the cotton sock, the bit that covered the shank on the inside of the shoe back on the inside to cover up the rough parts of the shoe now that the shanks have been removed.

ReplySendWatch