Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: Questions about adult Irish dancers
By NoraStewart
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 01:26 AM
Good man, George!!
I can relate to that - used to be a cross-country skier/ instructor and telemarker. I want to be dancing when I'm 90. You need stamina for this Irish dance lark.

Also wanted to say that there are many other styles (5) of Irish dance apart from modern Irish step dancing, and most of them are sociable, heaps of fun and don't require competition. They are still challenging and skillful- I think they get dismissed too easily.

They are also FABULOUS styles for men i.e flat and not much toe pointing (I met my husband in Ireland set dancing :)

MORE INFO HERE
www.setdancing.com.au . . .

Nice one!
Nora
By laetissima
On Tue Jul 15, 2014 03:48 PM
I'm 23 and started at age 17. I still haven't done any competing--I've been attending performance-only schools, and the expense is kind of off-putting. Hearing about all of your experiences is making me more interested in maybe trying a feis one of these days, though, now that I've switched schools...
By the way, some of the best dancers I've seen are grandparents. And it's incredible what good shape they're in! It looks like Irish dance keeps you young. ;)
By kate_monster
On Thu Jul 24, 2014 07:46 AM
I started at 23, am 27 now. I danced for an entire year before I began competiting. Did adult up to prizewinner, but numbers were low, so I dropped to novice &overs. Got to prizewinner and now am in prelim! Have a LOT of form work to do to get better!

I start everything late in life, did gymnastics from age 11 to 22! Miss that the most, but it's much harder on your body.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch