Forum: Irish / Irish

Looking for dance schools and advice!
By irishgirl619
On Mon Apr 21, 2014 03:58 PM

I was a dancer for many years ended up quitting when I reached OC. I havent danced in quite a few years. I am looking for dance schools in Chicago, I live in the city and have been having a hard time finding schools that accept older dancers- I'm 21., I want to compete again. Im not sure if many people still compete though or not? I would obviously be the Midwest Region- is it normal for me to go back at 21 to compete? Just looking for advice and schools!

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies to Looking for dance schools and advice!

re: Looking for dance schools and advice!
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 21, 2014 05:02 PM
I do not live in that area, but in my area there is a guy competing in the adult competitions who is in his 50's. I started competing this year at 23/24. So its not that odd.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 21, 2014 08:05 PM
www.dance.net . . .

This post may help. Schools are listed by Country and then County/State.

I have not included organisations affiliations to the list as I believe everyone should go in with an open mind and should choose the school that suits them most, not one because it belongs to one organisation or another. However most of the US schools are CLRG.
By shamrock28
On Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:55 PM
Hi there!

Unfortunately, I don't know the Chicago schools well enough to make a recommendation. The Mid-America voy board seems to be down at the moment, but I'd recommend asking there when it's back up! voy.com/33031/

And I just wanted to give you some reassurance - I danced for many years as well and quit as a teen OC dancer. Years later got back into it at 23 and have been competing again for the past year and a half. It's a challenge for sure, but totally worth it. And I'm certainly not alone, I compete against a few other 20 somethings. Prelim/champ competitions in the Mid Atlantic region are certainly skewing older these days! I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one your age at your level in the Mid West Region either. :)

Best of luck!

ReplySendWatch