Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Intel on Kansas City or Oklahoma dance schools?
By GirlGeekPremium member
On Tue Apr 22, 2014 09:02 AM

Hi-

I'm moving to Wichita this summer and looking for a new school. No TCRG in town, so it looks like Kansas City, Oklahoma City and Tulsa are my best options. I'm interested in dropping down; does anyone have information on which teachers would support this?

Thanks for your help!

6 Replies to Intel on Kansas City or Oklahoma dance schools?

re: Intel on Kansas City or Oklahoma dance schools?
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 22, 2014 09:43 AM
Wow, that is quite a drive! I've done that I-35 drive from Houston to Kansas City pretty often, so I know that firsthand!

KC has three schools - Dowds, Driscoll & O'Riada-McCarty-Manning.

Oklahoma has four schools - Muggivan, Goode, Hill and McTeggart.

You would be in the Mid-America Region if you went to a school in KC and in the Southern Region if you went to a school in OK, if it makes a difference to you. I know Muggivan would likely let you drop down, as they have several Senior Ladies; I can't say for sure about the others, but that doesn't mean they definitely wouldn't. (Muggivan is definitely in OK even if their website doesn't reflect this.)

I know there's an OK senior dancer on here so maybe she can give her two cents...I *think* she goes to Goode but I'm not sure.

Hope this is a good starting point for you!
By reeldancer123
On Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:27 PM
Those are all good schools that TheMidlakeMuse gave you, its all up to you and what you are looking for. Id check out the websites and even call the studios and ask them all the questions, odds are they would answer them for you.

I also sent you a PM
Regional differences (was re: Intel on Kansas City or Oklahoma dance schools?)
By GirlGeekPremium member
On Tue Apr 29, 2014 07:56 AM
Hi-

Thank you for the public and private replies! I'm still soaking up information to use when I get out there in June.

As far as regions go, I'm unfamiliar with the differences; is there information available on this? Merits and virtues of Southern vs. Mid-America?

Thanks!
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:40 AM
I live in the Mid-America region, only a couple hours away from the Southern region, so I have feised in the South and against Southern Region competitors. The main difference I learned has to do with Oireachtas opportunities. Southern Region offers an adult traditional set competition while Mid-America does not. If you drop down, I think (Southern Region dancers, correct me if I am wrong) Mid-America has more stringent Oireachtas qualification requirements. If you are 15 and over, you have to place in the top half of one of your PC competitions or be OC to dance solos at Oireachtas. Of course, your teacher may have stricter requirements, so the regional rule might not really matter. Also, I am not sure if Mid-America has an adult 4-hand competition at Oireachtas. I think Southern region does, though.

As far as local feisanna go, I have met great people and had great competitors from both regions. Good luck with choosing a school.
By criosamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 30, 2014 04:57 AM
unless it changes this year, MidAmerica does not offer 4-hands (at any age) at the Oireachtas.

also, I believe the region you would compete in at the Oireachtas is dependent on where you live, not where your school is.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri May 30, 2014 09:08 AM
Just have to mention here, Wichita DOES have a fantastic Irish dance school, which is CRN affiliated. The Corry Academy of Irish Dance is located in the suburb of Andover, and they are a fantastic school and extremely supportive of adult dancers.

Corryacademy.com

I trekked from Nebraska to train with them on a monthly basis for a few years, and even though I am currently on dance hiatus due to injury, I will always consider them family more than any other group I've danced with. PM me if you have any questions!

ReplySendWatch