Forum: Arts / Pets

Pets
Cat tore up carpet
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Apr 22, 2014 02:01 PM

Well, we just moved into an apartment. In three weeks the cat has successfully tore up the carpet all the way to the plastic bit. We sprayed cat repellent stuff on it when we first noticed. It's just the one spot near my brothers door (his owner). Which is closed at night and he is probably trying to get in.

My mother is POed. This was brand new carpet and probably whenever we move out they will charge for new carpet even though they will replace it anyway.

Other than letting him in my brothers room at night (the cat comes and goes and yells in his face etc), what can we do to stop this?

The perp.
Image hotlink - 'http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/majere_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/884AC8F4-5C34-46E0-A8CE-A35206D3BE58_zpsots1jg5h.jpg'

We set the loose bits on top of the hole
Image hotlink - 'http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/majere_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/082B25AA-F8CC-4AC3-BC64-7F6F53EA5404_zpsutiwtw7b.jpg'

The plastic bit:
Image hotlink - 'http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/majere_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/E4242421-E35A-4847-A78E-3A1CBA019021_zpshlq1mafh.jpg'

Slight issue of the landlord not knowing about the cat. The lady who my parents filled out all the paper work with waived the pet rent etc. But she was fired before we moved in... and my parents signed a thing saying we don't have a pet.

8 Replies to Cat tore up carpet

re: Cat tore up carpet
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:15 AM
Is anyone is awake when this happens? If so they can squirt the cat with water. Most cats hate that and learn fast to avoid the behavior that brings it on. Our cat did this to the carpet outside my bathroom door because he doesn't like that I shut him out of there while I shower. I have to because he has figured out how to open the medicine cabinet, and he empties it into the sink in a flash. None of the training methods I used with my previous cats work with this cat. He doesn't mind getting wet at all. I solved it by taking up the carpet in the hall and just having hardwood floor with a rug over it that doesn't touch the doorway, but that won't help in a rental situation. Try the spray bottle of water if possible.

As for the landlord, this could be a problem. I assume your parents had to pay a security deposit, normally one month's rent, against any damage done during your tenancy. They will probably lose that money. Also many leases contain language that allows the landlord to view the unit to make sure it remains in good condition during the tenancy as long as they give reasonable notice, normally considered to be 24 hours.

Are those scratches on the doorway trim also from the cat?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 AM
I caught him once around 2am the other day. I'm usually the last one to go to bed. I shook a jar of coins at him and he went running. Water is a good idea.

I'm not sure about those scratches they might have already been there. The previous tenant had a dog.

I put his scratch-er over that spot today. It may or may not help.

My dad is going to keep an eye out at the dumpster and see if any old carpet gets thrown out and cut off a square in case we can patch it. I don't think that is such a great idea.

I think maybe if we play with him and really wear him out before my brother goes to bed it might help. We have misplaced most of his toys (save for one toy mouse) in the move.
re: Cat tore up carpet (karma: 2)
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Apr 23, 2014 02:20 PM
I'd be down in the office, immediately adding the cat onto the lease. That's why they charge an extra deposit for animals. Most leases have strict clauses about animals. I know that my options are to pay $200 for a pet deposit, or get kicked out/fined severely if they catch me with an undocumented animal.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Wed Apr 23, 2014 05:01 PM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2014-04-23 17:03:23
Put up a scratching post where he scratches.

The key to not having the cat yowl all night is to play with them and tire them out, according to Jackson Galaxy (who is btw, soooo hot). He yells because he's bored. They also make calming collars by feliway, which I've heard work wonders.

ETA: Laser pointers are awesome to get cats tired quick. :)
On Wed Apr 23, 2014 06:26 PM
Kekoa wrote:

I'd be down in the office, immediately adding the cat onto the lease. That's why they charge an extra deposit for animals. Most leases have strict clauses about animals. I know that my options are to pay $200 for a pet deposit, or get kicked out/fined severely if they catch me with an undocumented animal.

As soon as they told me the story, I told them they need to do that. This is my parents, not me. I would never lie about having a pet.
On Wed Apr 23, 2014 06:37 PM
Dancing_EMT wrote:

Put up a scratching post where he scratches.

The key to not having the cat yowl all night is to play with them and tire them out, according to Jackson Galaxy (who is btw, soooo hot). He yells because he's bored. They also make calming collars by feliway, which I've heard work wonders.

ETA: Laser pointers are awesome to get cats tired quick. :)

We lost the laser pointer we had. Boo. We will need to buy a new one. I looked up the collar and sent a link to my mother. I think it's a good idea to try.
On Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 AM
I went to petsmart this morning before work. I bought that collar and a different spray (it's the feliway one) and also some new toys. I put the collar on Hermes before I went to work and he seemed confused. I put it on while he was eating and he didn't notice it was on until he stopped. He walked backward like he was trying to duck under something. But by the time I left he seemed fine. So, hopefully it will help.
On Tue Apr 29, 2014 07:10 AM
I think the collar and spray are working. He's only scratching on things that are meant for scratching. He hasn't been flipping out in the middle of the night like usual. He's actually jumping on the couch with my mom and I - usually he only does that with my brother and dad. He was a very clam and gentle cat in the first place, but since we started using that stuff he's just been so chill.

ReplySendWatch