Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Question About Western Region Adult Competition Rules and Moving Up
By celticwhim
On Thu Apr 24, 2014 02:24 AM

Does anyone know for sure the rules for adults to move up in competition in the Western US Region? I have scoured the rules and they are not super clear. It looks like there is no Beginner 2. So would you only place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd once with at least 5 competitors and then move to Novice, or pretend there is a Beginner 2 level and place 1st, 2nd or 3rd twice? And please don't say ask your teacher, lol because she doesn't know either and is too busy to find out! Don't ask, heh. Would love to know ASAP as I have another feis coming up and would like to register in the correct level. This could mean the difference in me and my teammates dancing in all Beginner or all Novice in most of our dances! Thanks. :)

6 Replies to Question About Western Region Adult Competition Rules and Moving Up

re: Question About Western Region Adult Competition Rules and Moving Up
By Mariel4444
On Thu Apr 24, 2014 07:04 AM
1,2,3 to get out of beginner, 1,2 to get out of novice maybe. I don't know I set a goal for myself to only move up with firsts because there are so few levels
By GirlGeekPremium member
On Thu Apr 24, 2014 07:55 AM
We were told that our moving-up rules were the same as those for the age groups. We were certainly never required to stay in beginner to pretend there was a beginner II.

Which feis are you looking at?
By celticwhim
On Thu Apr 24, 2014 02:09 PM
So once you placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd with 5 or more competitors you moved up to Novice? My daughter and I are planning on going to the St. Ambrose feis in a few weeks. I have placed in all my dances except Hard Jig(haven't danced that one yet), so I'm thinking it would be not cool to dance those all again in Beg. if I am supposed to be in Novice. Wish my teacher would find out for us, but we have asked multiple times and she has a very stressful day job that takes most of her time. So I usually try and help her out with things like this.
By shamrock28
On Thu Apr 24, 2014 02:39 PM
At this point, it sounds like you are technically qualified for novice by official rules. If there's confusion on what you need to earn in beginner to move to novice, check the notation on the syllabus for how the younger dancers would qualify as a novice dancer. I'm in a different region and can't speak to the exact WR rules.

That said, your TC may not want you to move to novice until you've placed more than once. I'd let her know that you've checked into the actual rules on the syllabus (even if you're going off the guidelines for the kids) and you are qualified to move up. Then ask her opinion! Does she think you're ready to dance in novice? Because that doesn't take research - just her opinion! Weigh in if you feel you're ready to move up. It can be tough in the adult competitions when there aren't always 5 or more competitors.

Good luck!
By celticwhim
On Thu Apr 24, 2014 02:54 PM
Western US Region rules for Under 18 are that you must place 1, 2, or 3 in Beg. 1 to move to Beg. 2. Then you must place 1 or 2 in Beg. 2 to move to Novice. With number 5 or more. There is just no Beg. 2 in the adults categories, so my teammates and I just assumed we had to place twice to move into Novice. I have been dancing the longest out of the adults that compete in my school at almost 2 years, and our teacher has started us on Novice material, so she probably thinks we are ready. I will talk to her about it again. Thanks for your help everyone! ;)
By Mariel4444
On Fri Apr 25, 2014 07:12 AM
In colorado all the adults have just moved to novice after getting a 1,2 or 3 when there is 5 or more dancers. There is no beginner 2 so you don't need to pretend there is

ReplySendWatch