Forum: Arts / Acting

Acting
Musical theater dance audition outfit? PLEASE HELP!
By KNB27 Comments: 24, member since Fri Apr 25, 2014
On Fri Apr 25, 2014 06:24 AM
Edited by KNB27 (266441) on 2014-04-25 06:36:15

this is my first post, I hope I am doing this right :)

I am auditioning for the part of a follies dancer in the musical Crazy For You (semi-professional) and would like some thoughts on what I should wear to auditions :)
I was thinking of wearing this pretty royal blue halter leotard I have with nude tights and a white skater style skirt. Thoughts? We have to bring character shoes with and without taps and jazz shoes.

What I am worried about is that I look really really young. Or that's what I have been told by directors at past auditions. I am 17 years old and about 5'5 (5'8 with character shoes) so I am not short. I guess it would be my face? People tell me I look 12. (this is not high school theater, I am auditioning with mostly adults, you have to be 16)
any ideas for makeup? I know not too much makeup for auditions, but I would like to do something.

I have not been cast in a show for 10 months and I am getting antsy :) this audition really matters to me and I am trying to do anything possible in my power to make it a success. Even if I don't end up getting cast, I would like to make my audition a successful one.
I really do appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions. Thanks so much, sorry it got so long :)

1 Replies to Musical theater dance audition outfit? PLEASE HELP!

re: Musical theater dance audition outfit? PLEASE HELP!
By RifleBuddy Comments: 306, member since Tue Aug 26, 2003
On Sat Apr 26, 2014 07:52 AM
I've had the issue of a young-looking face as well. What helped me having a makeup consultant (like the people at sephora or the department store counters) show me how to get the look I wanted and showing me how to do it myself. For example, they told me that for my face, a black eyeliner would be too harsh and how to correctly apply brown.

As far as your attire, go for a cohesive look. Is the white too much of a distraction? (During an audition, a girl once wore a bright pink top. I remembered the girl in the top, but not a clue if her hands and feet were doing what they should have been)

Also, how you carry yourself has an impact on how people perceive you. Confident, focused, respectful...those are the qualities I look for in the teenagers that work with me, and it shows when they are focusing on those qualities.

Best of luck in your audition!

ReplySendWatch