Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Somewhat off-topic, but what are some good dress pants to fit dancer legs?
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:42 PM

First, the good news...I got a new job! Not only does this mean I won't consistently miss the first 30 min of dance class because of work, but I will also be working full-time now, which means I won't have to pinch pennies quite so much when it comes to feis fees, extra classes, and Irish dance accessories (and maybe someday a solo dress...I can at least dream).

However, I'm going to need some new work clothes, and it is nearly impossible to find pants that fit my dancer/runner legs while still fitting in the waist. I hate having to buy pants that are too big and baggy in the waist and sometimes bum because the smaller size that fits in the waist are unattractively skintight on my thighs. I thought maybe others on this board have run into the problem of buying pants for dancer legs....any suggestions? Thanks.

9 Replies to Somewhat off-topic, but what are some good dress pants to fit dancer legs?

re: Somewhat off-topic, but what are some good dress pants to fit dancer legs?
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 28, 2014 02:14 AM
I'm not too sure, but I know for dressing nicely, I've worn (as funny as it sounds) high-end yoga pants; they are fit and they flare at the ankle, which looks good with heels and a nice blouse. If the fabric is thick enough, no one even notices. I've even had someone ask me where I got my "slacks"! I'm also 23, so the fit and flare look is always suitable for my age. Not sure if that will have anything to do with it.

Sorry I couldn't help much. I know that I do own a pair of slacks from Express which fit me nicely - I'm quite hippy, but also have toned thighs, so it's always an issue to find something that looks good on me as well.

www.express.com . . .
By sarahrID
On Mon Apr 28, 2014 05:52 AM
Your best bet will probably be buying the pants that are too big in the waist and getting them altered. It is a very easy alteration to bring the waist and seat in on pants, and usually isn't expensive.

While taking them to a tailor can be a bit of a hassle, it's actually easier (and you get better fitting pants) then going around to 50 stores and not finding anything that is quite right!
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 28, 2014 07:21 AM
Oh I have the exact same problem! It's so frustrating, eh.

A lot of my pants come from Old Navy. They seem to fit better in the thigh while not being HUGE in the waist. No, they're not perfect, but they're the best I've found for the muscular thigh to tiny waist problem.

The Gap and Banana Republic are the same line so I think their clothes would be similar as well.
By highlanddncr
On Mon Apr 28, 2014 09:26 AM
The limited Cassidy fit. All my work pants are that style and it fits my waist but also my dancer thighs. They also have short and tall available online and series in the store. I am 5'4" and the shorts fit me perfectly length wise with my ballet flat style shoes. If you like them and figure out your size, they often have sales o line like half off or buy one get one half off.
By highlanddncr
On Mon Apr 28, 2014 09:27 AM
The limited Cassidy fit. All my work pants are that style and it fits my waist but also my dancer thighs. They also have short and tall available online and series in the store. I am 5'4" and the shorts fit me perfectly length wise with my ballet flat style shoes. If you like them and figure out your size, they often have sales o line like half off or buy one get one half off.
By HBwahinemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 28, 2014 09:39 AM
I've always had that problem - small waist, big athletic thighs. My dress pants come from Target of all places. Old Navy is usually too big in the waist. I still am on the lookout for a pair of jeans. That had turned out to be almost impossible. Good luck!
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:23 AM
The "Curvy Fit" at Target works for me. Though I am not bothered if it is a bit tight in the legs. Anything with a bit of spandex (at least 2%) works better for me too.

You might just have to get them tailored though if you really don't want them too tight in the thighs.
By GirlGeekPremium member
On Tue Apr 29, 2014 07:33 AM
Owned by the same parent corp: lots of Athleta styles have an internal drawstring, which helps somewhat with the waist thing. I don't see a lot for summer, but they have a good selection of corduroys and such in the the fall and winter.
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the input. I have tried Old Navy, Gap, JCPenney, and Maurices, and none of them work (except for a pair of Maurices pants that have the word "stretch" in the size that I got 7 or 8 years ago...wish I could find a pair like that again). My shorts come from Maurices (because I don't have to worry about the thigh issue) and my jeans come from American Eagle (their straight leg style works for me). I will have to try your suggestions of the Limited and Target for dress pants. Several years ago, I had some pants from Express, so I may have to try there, but I remember them being quite expensive, but at least I would get a lot of wears out of them. Or I may have to take the suggestion to get some pants tailored. We'll see what I can find. Thanks!

ReplySendWatch