Forum: Irish / Irish

Happy 20th birthday to Riverdance :)
By sarahbalera
On Wed Apr 30, 2014 08:00 AM

Today marks twenty years since Riverdance first performed at the Eurovision song contest!!

The original interval act:
www.youtube.com . . .

So my question to you all on this wonderful day, what are your favourite Riverdance memories? Have you seen it on stage in your local city? Did it inspire you to take up/return to dancing?

Here's mine ;)
- dancing last summer in the longest line world record attempt in Dublin and managing to keep up with everyone else, and hearing that we had broken the world record!
- bringing my two nieces into Dublin the day before the world record attempt for the Gathering ceili and seeing them dance their 1,2,3's for everyone and everyone clapping for them, then getting their picture taken with some of the Riverdance cast.
- watching "Riverdance in China" on TV about 10 years ago and finally getting the inspiration to find a class and return to dancing after a break of about 12 years.

2 Replies to Happy 20th birthday to Riverdance :)

re: Happy 20th birthday to Riverdance :)
By tinydancer1988
On Wed Apr 30, 2014 08:18 AM
Aw! I love the original with Jean and Michael! Such a dynamic couple.

I had been dancing for about a year and a half when Riverdance came out - I watched the video and tried to learn the hardshoe dances even though I didn't do hardshoe yet.

Long-term the effect that Riverdance had on me was making my competitions huge and incredibly difficult to place in... but I'll forgive that, lol
re: Happy 20th birthday to Riverdance :)
By seannettaPremium member
On Wed Apr 30, 2014 09:23 AM
I had been dancing for about 4 years when Riverdance came out. I remember reacting to it with a kind of wonder -- like, "you can DO that?" It inspired me and my other teenaged friends to create more creative choreographies that we performed at summer folk festivals.

I did see it live, once. I think it must have been 1997. It was Colin Dunne and Eileen Martin, I think? As a kid, I was really excited by it; as somewhat of a veteran of ID, I appreciate all it has done but really haven't paid attention in years.

ReplySendWatch