Forum: Arts / Fashion

Fashion
Best pointes for cosplay?
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu May 01, 2014 08:16 AM

Yes, I do have experience with pointe first and foremost.

My friend and I are going to Comic-con in August. I'll be dressing as Nina from Black Swan as the black swan. I have my costume, but I'm having trouble figuring out which pointes to get. Freeds are soft enough, but I'll be walking around, so I wanted something semi-comfy to walk around in. Soft toes? Break them in until they're nearly dead?

Any other shoe suggestions? I have Gaynors, but I obviously won't be wearing my good pair of pointes that will probably get trashed. I did want to pose for pictures en pointe which is why I'm hesitant to get the soft toes.

9 Replies to Best pointes for cosplay?

re: Best pointes for cosplay? (karma: 1)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu May 01, 2014 08:31 AM
Will you be wanting to go en pointe whil co-playing? If not, you could deshank an old dead pair and maybe soften the box up a bit more for comfort.

If not I always found Capezios to be pretty comfortable (compared to Grishko, Gaynors and Russian Pointes).
re: Best pointes for cosplay?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu May 01, 2014 08:32 AM
Do you have some already broken in pairs besides your Gaynors?

I would not try to wear new pointe shoes to walk around in for a few hours. Whatever you do, make sure you have some great padding.

I feel like you need to get shoes to fit YOUR feet the best, and you shouldn't get separate shoes just for walking in. Your dancing brand is probably going to feel the best on your feet after a long day.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu May 01, 2014 08:34 AM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2014-05-01 08:37:14
I forgot about Capezios, that's not a bad idea. Thank you. :)

I won't be dancing in them, just mainly posing for photos.

ETA: Unfortunately because I kill pointes so fast, I pretty much only wear Gaynors. I do live near the Russian Pointe boutique (kinda, it's a short train ride and walk away) but hubby wouldn't be too happy if I spent $100 for shoes for a costume.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Fri May 02, 2014 09:02 AM
Have you tried ebay? There are these cheap Chinese brand pair for like $30, new. I believe they're Sansha. Discount Dance have cheap Sanshas too. We Aussies have our Comic-con (Supernova) on in June and if I remember correctly, a girl who did Princess Tutu wore regular flats around and then pointe shoes for photos, and she had Russian Pointes which are like $130 here. It's just not comfortable walking around for 3+ hours in pointe shoes, plus you may not want to ruin them. Maybe attach ribbons to regular flats so you can look 'ballet' when not wearing the pointe shoes?
Do you have any old pairs of shoes? If you just add some new satin over them they'll look as good as new (you'll have to hand stitch though).

I honestly don't know many people who cosplay and only have one pair of shoes with them, lol.
On Fri May 02, 2014 09:58 AM
Gavrilushka wrote:

Have you tried ebay? There are these cheap Chinese brand pair for like $30, new. I believe they're Sansha. Discount Dance have cheap Sanshas too. We Aussies have our Comic-con (Supernova) on in June and if I remember correctly, a girl who did Princess Tutu wore regular flats around and then pointe shoes for photos, and she had Russian Pointes which are like $130 here. It's just not comfortable walking around for 3+ hours in pointe shoes, plus you may not want to ruin them. Maybe attach ribbons to regular flats so you can look 'ballet' when not wearing the pointe shoes?
Do you have any old pairs of shoes? If you just add some new satin over them they'll look as good as new (you'll have to hand stitch though).

I honestly don't know many people who cosplay and only have one pair of shoes with them, lol.

I think I have an old pair of Fuzi's laying around, I do have some Russian Pointes but those are my "good" shoes. I have worn Sanshas before and really liked them.

I think I'll go with either Freeds, Capezios or Sanshas. If I can find a cheap pair of Russians, I might go with them as well.

I can get regular ballet flats easily, I live a short train ride from downtown Chicago where they have the Russian Pointe boutique and we'll be there on Thursday so I can pick up some flats then. I also need to make a trip to the costume store and get some face paint.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Fri May 02, 2014 10:26 AM
Get Mehron or Kryolan face paint! Accept no other substitute. Friends did Marceline and Princess Bubblegum, and Princess Bubblegum used a cheaper face paint and her paint was cracking up, faded within 3 hours and it really dried out her skin and stained her pink for days. If there is something to spend a lot of money in a costume, it's quality face paint.
On Fri May 02, 2014 11:16 AM
Gavrilushka wrote:

Get Mehron or Kryolan face paint! Accept no other substitute. Friends did Marceline and Princess Bubblegum, and Princess Bubblegum used a cheaper face paint and her paint was cracking up, faded within 3 hours and it really dried out her skin and stained her pink for days. If there is something to spend a lot of money in a costume, it's quality face paint.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The cheap stuff makes me break out. I've used both with very good luck before. My husband has done special effects make up so he won't let me use the cheaper stuff. :P I just have to make sure both don't have any latex in them as I'm allergic to latex.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri May 02, 2014 11:54 AM
Dancing_EMT wrote:

You took the words right out of my mouth. The cheap stuff makes me break out. I've used both with very good luck before. My husband has done special effects make up so he won't let me use the cheaper stuff. :P I just have to make sure both don't have any latex in them as I'm allergic to latex.

Right call about the cheap stuff. I used it for a haunted house and I had an allergic reaction and had to take steroids.

If you go with regular flats, you could still sew on some ribbons.
On Fri May 02, 2014 12:07 PM
majere wrote:

Dancing_EMT wrote:

Right call about the cheap stuff. I used it for a haunted house and I had an allergic reaction and had to take steroids.

If you go with regular flats, you could still sew on some ribbons.

I was planning on buying some flats and sewing ribbons on them. :) We're heading to the city on Thursday, I was planning on getting a new pair of flats. I figured I'd keep the flats with me for when my feet hurt too much.

ReplySendWatch