Forum: Irish / Irish

Where you get steps from when you learn ID on your own?
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 01, 2014 09:37 AM
Edited by irishsaoirse (199247) on 2014-05-01 09:38:07

I have a problem. Cos of my work I cant go to classes anymore. But im not ready to quit completely yet. I was wondering- where do you get steps in case you learn ID without a teacher? For example i still need beginners hornpipe, in primary slip jig, HJ and HP.
How do I get to those steps. I know there is this "copy right" for the steps so just copy something from youtube is probably not the best idea(?) In the moment any feis is out of question, but maybe sometime later?
I never made up some steps, so dont know where and how to start...
Any advice? Thanks :)

9 Replies to Where you get steps from when you learn ID on your own?

re: Where you get steps from when you learn ID on your own?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 01, 2014 10:00 AM
Just have a go at making something up! Every choreographer has to start somewhere. Pick one dance at a time and watch some YouTube videos of other people dance that dance at the level you're looking for, and make some notes about things you like. As you say you can't use an entire step, but you might like the opening 1-2 bars of one person's step, the middle bit of another's persons step, and then you might be able to think of something of your own for the end bit. The first few steps you come up with might not be perfect but it's like anything else, practice makes perfect. The more you do, the better you become.

For beginner steps, you might want to look into the Olive Hurley DVDs (www.antoniopacelli.com sells them).
By LizDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 01, 2014 10:36 AM
Just a note - you can't compete without being under a certified teacher! So if you did want to do a feis in the future, you would have to be taking classes again and compete with that teacher's steps.

So if all you want steps for right now is to practice, you really could just learn someone's steps off YouTube! As long as you never try to compete those steps. It isn't prohibited to just learn someone else's steps; what isn't allowed is competing them. If you're just trying to keep practicing and keep your dancing sharp during your break from taking classes, then I don't see anything wrong with learning someone else's steps. They're not legally copyrighted, instead it's An Comisiun's rules that prohibit you from stealing someone else's steps and competing them. Performing them would also be a no-no.
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 01, 2014 01:46 PM
I think for a WIDA feis I wouldnt need to be under some certified teacher (?).

I just checked it, they apparently changed it - it used to be that dancer didnt need to belong to some dance school/ organization at all-does anyone has some info about it?

But as first I wont be able to do any feisanna anyway, so its not so important.

Yes, right now I would learn some steps just for practice/fun, as - well -see the lines about feis above lol
But eventually I could try to make up something , so trying to figure out how it works :)
By PlancstaiPremium member
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 05:30 AM
WIDA has not changed its policy of welcoming unaffiliated or attached dancers. We recently had a couple dance at the Dublin Feis. We will always be open to those whom are self taught or don't want to register with a particular school.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 07:08 AM
Everyone above has offered great suggestions. For another source of inspiration, look up CRN-affiliated steps on YouTube as well. The Bun Grad through Mean Grad competition dances are all open, compulsory steps across the entire organization, so anyone can learn them. Take a look at those and use what you like; you don't have to worry about copyright!
By GirlGeekPremium member
On Tue Jun 24, 2014 09:38 PM
Good evening-

LizDancer wrote:

So if all you want steps for right now is to practice, you really could just learn someone's steps off YouTube! As long as you never try to compete those steps. It isn't prohibited to just learn someone else's steps; what isn't allowed is competing them. If you're just trying to keep practicing and keep your dancing sharp during your break from taking classes, then I don't see anything wrong with learning someone else's steps. They're not legally copyrighted, instead it's An Comisiun's rules that prohibit you from stealing someone else's steps and competing them. Performing them would also be a no-no.

Well--actually, steps on YouTube are legally copyrighted (though not registered with the copyright office). A creator/artist automatically has copyrighted a creative work as soon as it is captured in a tangible medium of expression. (It's the recording that fixes the copyright, so steps created by someone but recorded aren't copyrighted).

Mind you, I don't think a reasonable person would have a problem with you learning copyrighted steps as long as you didn't try to profit from them beyond keeping your skills up. I'm just correcting the record on the "legally copyrighted" bit.

Cheers,

-GG
By TuniePremium member
On Wed Jun 25, 2014 09:16 AM
sjerose wrote:

look up CRN-affiliated steps on YouTube as well. The Bun Grad through Mean Grad competition dances are all open, compulsory steps across the entire organization, so anyone can learn them.

How can I find these? Just by searching YouTube? Can I find a list somewhere? I'm not in CRN, but it can't hurt to teach these steps to my non-competitive dancers.
By colgate
On Wed Jun 25, 2014 05:11 PM
if you subscribe to diddly-i they have a few different levels of steps you can learn. :)
By TuniePremium member
On Wed Jun 25, 2014 07:48 PM
^ Oh I wish I could... I'm poor lol. Are there any other options?... Free ones? haha. I'm not having much luck on Youtube.

ReplySendWatch