Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Grishko 2007
By i_dance18
On Sat May 03, 2014 01:08 PM

I wear Grishko 2007's and I recently switch from a medium shank to a hard shank because the mediums wore out way too fast. But the hard shank is really hard and doesn't bend even a little bit. Any tips for breaking them in without breaking them?

4 Replies to Grishko 2007

re: Grishko 2007
By Gavrilushka
On Sun May 04, 2014 05:47 AM
How fast did the mediums wear out?

To break a hard shank in, it's best to do it the normal way - doing releves and what not. If you can't break them in doing many repetitions of these, then they're just too hard for you and you should just stick with the mediums and jetgluing them. But if you feel that you can break them in and it's just taking too long, put the shoes on and sweat in them. Use them as you would your flats. The heat from your feet will soften the glue and make them more pliable. After 30 minutes or so, you should be able to shape them with your hands, just go en pointe with one foot, and bend back the heel so it arches into your arch. You can even take them off and bend them back and forwards a few times.

You can even use a hair dryer to heat up the glue as well, just make sure the setting isn't super high because you can cause the molecules to react funny and the glue just won't be as strong as before.

More extreme things involve hammers and doors, but that's only good for stage performances or one-off uses.
By i_dance18
On Sun May 04, 2014 11:09 AM
My last pair of mediums wore out after two weeks. The pairs before that wore out after a month or two, but I wasn't doing as much pointe work. My teacher thought the hard shank would last a little bit longer than the mediums.
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 04, 2014 10:06 PM
I had the exact same problem- usually the medium shank Grishkos would work, but when I was dancing more they would hardly last 3 weeks. I also tried the hard shanks and they were too hard and didn't break in right. I've stuck with the mediums and just jet glue them like crazy, but I also just got a pair of Russian Pointes since it's a harder shoe, and i have to see how that goes. You might want to consider other brands as well. Best of luck
By cara7
On Thu May 08, 2014 03:40 AM
You can try Russian Pointe "Encore" (Spotlight collection) or the new "Entrada Pro"; both are for moderately tapered feet and are available in FM (flexible medium) shank, I'd recommend vamp 2 or 3, Russian Pointe shanks are said to last longer than Grishko, and they are pre-arched and adapt well to the arch.

ReplySendWatch