Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Irish - Beginners
When should you buy a proper Dress?
By NiamhBeament Comments: 10, member since Tue Oct 01, 2013
On Mon May 05, 2014 12:29 AM

I was just wondering at what stage should you buy a dress. I've learnt the Reel, Light Jig, Single Jig and am just learning the last bit of the Slip Jig and am going on to heavy shoes very soon and I have a Feis in June, is it too early to buy a dress?

5 Replies to When should you buy a proper Dress?

re: When should you buy a proper Dress?
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Mon May 05, 2014 12:33 AM
Yes it is too soon. In general there is a mentality of "earning" ones dress by getting all your dances to a specific level. However, ask you TC what their rules are. Also, depending on what organization you are dancing with, you might not be allowed to get a solo dress until you have your dances in a certain level.
By Cinnawiz Comments: 3136, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Mon May 05, 2014 09:55 AM
Check with your school about their school dresses. Those can be worn until you earn your solo dress.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 AM
If you're worried about whether it's going to affect your placings in the grades, don't! There are gals from my school who are still in the beginner shirt/skirt combo (not even a school dress!) who've made it into Prizewinner for some of their dances. All judges care about at this level is an appropriate and neat presentation. As others have said, talk to your teacher about what the right costume is for you. Each school has different rules, as well as different levels of costume.
By NiamhBeament Comments: 10, member since Tue Oct 01, 2013
On Thu May 08, 2014 10:13 AM
Thank you everyone, no of course I'm not worried, I wasn't looking at buying a dress or anything I was just wondering at what level should you
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 PM
Schools have different rules, but around here it's pretty common for the TCRG to require that the dancer has won first place in Novice in at least two of their 4 core dances (Reel, Slip Jig, Treble Jig and Hornpipe) and moved those dances into Prizewinner before buying a solo dresses. Around here Beginners and Advanced Beginners wear the school skirt, Novices wear the school dress, and solo dresses are for PW and above. Good luck in your dancing!

ReplySendWatch