Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Costume / Solo Dress Rules for Adults
By MMaxwell
On Mon May 05, 2014 10:30 AM

Hi there,
Been thinking about jumping on the bandwagon and put my recreational classes to use, and actually compete. SO, with that, comes "What the heck do I wear?!" In browsing what I do and do not like on many numerous websites and such, I found what I do like, and what I am seeing as Age Appropriate for me (35). My question is this:

Are there rules pertaining to the Cape/Shawl in the back of dresses? Im seeing that the actual Cape is gone (but slowly making a comeback), flat panels are being used instead (some big, some rather small), and also, BOWS are used. What if a dress doesnt have any of these, but just has other decorative features to the back?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

4 Replies to Costume / Solo Dress Rules for Adults

re: Costume / Solo Dress Rules for Adults
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 05, 2014 10:56 AM
I don't have a solo dress, but the short answer to your question is that capes don't seem to be required in the adult category. I first started competing in a stretch velvet long-sleeved dress with simple applique/embroidery (no cape) and danced in just a black leotard and skirt after switching schools. I had been competing for almost 3 years before I got a cape, so don't let that stop you. I've seen ladies wear white blouses with black or plaid skirts, leotard/skirt combos (sometimes with embroidered trim or a sparkly belt), or even a plain t-shirt and simple skirt. In the adult level, it seems to be more about the dancing and camaraderie than the dress. Good luck with your solo dress search; I'm sure you'll find one perfect for you, cape or no cape :)
By Lunamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 05, 2014 12:40 PM
There are no rules for an adult dancer or younger dancer that capes are required as far as I know. Capes/shawls are just a traditional part of the dancing costume that has been used since Irish dancing began. They have many shapes and forms and I've even seen some champ dancers compete at a major competition with no cape at all. It's all personal preference.
For the adult levels of competition they usually just wear simpler costumes that are more traditional than the ones the kids are wearing, and that is ok. I've also seen some adults wear costumes that are just as sparkly and up to date as the world champions wear. As I said before it's really all about personal preference in what you want your costume to wear.

If you are really worried about it , as your teacher they can help you out :)
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 05, 2014 04:00 PM
Our TCRG makes our costume and competition choices. We represent our school, and her, at any performance or feis. So, she decides what is worn and when. As an adult, also in my 30's, I have a solo dress and a team costume. All solo dresses worn at our school are very modern and up to date. From the youngest world qualifier to Adults dancing trad sets and teams at the Oireachtas, we wear what is approved.

So, I would check with your instructor, before starting a solo dress sewing project or purchasing a used dress. You are certainly able to wear what works within your regions rules and in what you are comfortable dancing. Hope you enjoy the feis experience and find a costume you enjoy.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 05, 2014 05:24 PM
there had been a thread recently about adults and solos. There were pictures of some DDNers in their dresses. Might give you some more info.
www.dance.net . . .

ReplySendWatch