Forum: Arts / Photos - Misc

Photos - Misc
Online photography course recommendations?
By Ellen_Eliz Comments: 1090, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Mon May 05, 2014 04:38 PM

Hi everyone,

My parents bought me the camera pictured above, it's a Fujifilm Finepix S8400W. I have always been interested in photography, but until now, have not had anything I could do much with. I have never taken a photography class before and I don't really know much about it.

I'm looking into signing up for an online photography class. There are several on Groupon, but after some research they don't seem like reliable/good options. Several reviewers have recommended Lynda.com but I read that it's better for people who already know what they're doing and just need refreshers. I also read that you can learn pretty much anything from Youtube and other free sites, but I wouldn't even know where to start. I like the idea of having something more organized.

Does anyone have any recommendations for online resources to use for a beginner?

Thank you so much, DDN!

3 Replies to Online photography course recommendations?

re: Online photography course recommendations?
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue May 06, 2014 01:50 PM
If you Google phototagraphy lessons online you will find many many courses available for free. The basics are pretty much all alike and cover much the same material. I looked at a couple of these and found this one which certainly will get you started without being too camera-specific.

freephotocourse.com . . .

Is it the best? I don't know there are two many to evaluate. It is possible to learn this by oneself which is exactly how I did it and it actually led to a very lucrative and totally accidental part-time professional career for many years. (I no longer do it professionally.)

You might also google your specific camera. I did this for my digital SLR when I first got it and found an excellent general course matched with some camera specific information. (HINT....the manuals that come with many cameras can be confusing as all get out. They usually are translated from some other language and lose something in that translation. They also will cover absolutely EVERY feature of the camera, much of which you will never use. The Japanese camera industry operates on the premise that if a feature is possible, include it, even if no one will ever use it. Book stores will often have camera-specific guide books on that cameras use in addition to basic photography, but I've found nothing in these books that I couldn't find online with a bit of searching.

BTW I used to be an adult education instructor in photography during the film era.

I'll also be happy to answer any specific questions you may have though it is not possible for me to know about every camera on the market. Most are similar enough conceptually that the principals for one work pretty well for another.

Jon
By Ellen_Eliz Comments: 1090, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Tue May 06, 2014 08:44 PM
Thank you so much! The link looks very informative. Basic, but that's exactly what I need at this point! I would like to be able to get use out of the features on my camera, and know enough photography jargon to be able to intelligently talk about it and understand critiques from other people!

I did do a pretty thorough read-through of the manual that came with my camera, and I was overwhelmed. I'm excited to get going though.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue May 06, 2014 10:47 PM
digital-photography-school.com
is another great resource. They have a ton of tutorials and guides for taking photos, then a heap more for post processing, too.

ReplySendWatch