Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
Advice freelance Dance writer
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Tue May 06, 2014 10:26 AM

I am unsure where to write this. I am guessing this may be the best place. I am hoping someone out there on DDN has advice for me starting out as a freelance writer. I am really interested in this after four years doing my degree in Dance.Involved was alot of theory, I do wish to put this theory to good use and help others.I am wondering where do I begin? I live in the UK & Ireland.
I am willing to do this voluntarily as I am trying to build a portfolio and gain as much experience as I can. I have completed a FETEC Level 5 in communication skills & grammar. Along with a Higher national diploma in dance and a Ba Honors degree in Dance , as part of this course it was required to critically analyse dance performances, dance nutritional health, dance histories. I would be interested sharing my information and knowledge.

2 Replies to Advice freelance Dance writer

re: Advice freelance Dance writer
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue May 06, 2014 10:34 AM
You would need to research dance publications and websites, getting a feel for their house style and the type of articles their readers are interested in. Then, if you feel you're a good fit, you'd need to contact the editor sending examples of your work and putting across your experience.

Many print publications will have an editorial calendar or forward features list which they set at the beginning of the year which tells them/potential advertisers what each issue will cover, so you can look ahead to what they're covering in the July/Aug/Sept issues and perhaps suggest topics or send over relevant articles you've already drafted. You can find these lists by looking on their websites and looking for a link saying 'advertise with us' or 'download media pack' or something like that.

Think of the email you send to the editor as your audition piece. It needs to be completely free of spelling mistakes, improper punctuation and typing errors, and the sentence structure needs to be spot on. If they see any mistakes at all in your email they won't even open your examples of work, and there are grammatical errors in your post here which would put you out of the running I'm afraid. Proofreading is absolutely essential.
re: Advice freelance Dance writer
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Tue May 06, 2014 10:38 AM
Thank you for your advice.I appreciate it alot.

Amy Xo

ReplySendWatch