Forum: Highland / Highland - Choreography

Highland - Choreography
What is a good time to start
By Mapletwo Comments: 9, member since Sun Feb 16, 2014
On Tue May 06, 2014 12:42 PM

Hi I was wondering what is a good time to start choreography. I am in beginner and am just considering it. What level would be a good time to start at?

4 Replies to What is a good time to start

re: What is a good time to start
By justdoit Comments: 1282, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Tue May 06, 2014 01:47 PM
Edited by justdoit (100417) on 2014-05-06 13:48:47
In most cases, I would say you should not start competitive choreography until you are established as a premier dancer and you know all the dances and have solid technique. This would not apply to performance choreography for members of a school or for a show. But for competition purposes, most require you to be a premier anyway...and until you are, there is generally still lots to learn about the established dances. This is just my opinion, and circumstances may vary. :)
By Mapletwo Comments: 9, member since Sun Feb 16, 2014
On Tue May 06, 2014 02:37 PM
Ok thanks I was just wondering 😃
By LingScot Comments: 1036, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Tue May 06, 2014 03:22 PM
As a general proposition, I would agree with justdoit. It's certainly important to understand basic technique before trying to play around with it!

At the same, time, if it's something you're interested in, it never hurts to think creatively about dancing. For example, if you know the fling, you could try doing a "choreographed" fling, putting together the pieces you know in different combinations and orders. What happens if you do a "heel toe" instead of "toe heel"? Or do the turn first in a step instead of last? etc., etc. That can help you begin to understand some of the principles of choreography but build on technique that you actually know.

At all stages, I certainly recommend talking to your teacher about this! He / she will know your background, experience, and needs better than anyone here does, and can give you better advice about what would make sense for you to be spending your time thinking about with respect to your dancing.

Good luck!
By dancingnatalie Comments: 28, member since Fri Apr 18, 2014
On Sat May 24, 2014 09:38 PM
In my personal opinion, I would say either intermediate if you feel you're ready, but if not premiere. In most cases, you can only do competitive choreography if you're in premiere

ReplySendWatch