Forum: Highland / Highland - Guys

Highland - Guys
Has anyone sewed a Prince Charlie?
By rockprincess Comments: 8, member since Thu Feb 13, 2014
On Tue May 06, 2014 11:14 PM
Edited by rockprincess (264967) on 2014-05-06 23:15:23 typo

I'm planning to sew a Prince Charlie for my son (6.5 years - he wants one because his big brother has one!). I have been searching the net for blogs etc, but haven't encountered anyone who has gone through the process.

I'm wondering particularly about patterns - is the Folkwear one the only one? If not, which is the best?

And I'd love to know if there are any really finicky bits I should pay attention to.

Thanks!

7 Replies to Has anyone sewed a Prince Charlie?

re: Has anyone sewed a Prince Charlie?
By offkilter Comments: 175, member since Tue Mar 25, 2008
On Wed May 07, 2014 08:43 AM
I have made a few Prince Charlie jackets from the Folkwear pattern. I found it easy to follow with no particular challenges.
I think the body length is a bit short but I was making jackets for thin boys. I lengthened the body about 1" & I raised the armholes about 1 1/2" when I sewed for dancers.
Hope this helps, good luck & happy sewing.
By Dancemom44 Comments: 492, member since Thu Oct 11, 2007
On Wed May 07, 2014 08:57 AM
I have the pattern but I have not made one (yet). Offkilter, did you put gussets under the arms?
By offkilter Comments: 175, member since Tue Mar 25, 2008
On Wed May 07, 2014 04:37 PM
No, I did not add gussets.

For the little boys who danced I made only the front of the vest & attached it at the shoulders & side seams so the jacket would not ride up. Together with the raised armhole it seemed to work. For a premier level dancer gussets would likely be a good idea along with the raised armhole.
By Dancinlassie Comments: 248, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Wed May 07, 2014 08:03 PM
I'm waiting for my pattern to arrive this week. I'm going to start with the vest and eventually add the jacket.

I also plan on lengthening the back of the vest as the regular sizes are too short for my tall son.
On Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 AM
Thank you everyone! I made him a vest yesterday (just used my older son's vest as a pattern) so he has a green vest to wear tomorrow in Lethbridge, but I'm going to order the Folkwear pattern to make the jacket. I will definitely lengthen the body.

Thanks again!
On Mon May 12, 2014 09:31 AM
Thank you everyone! I made him a vest yesterday (just used my older son's vest as a pattern) so he has a green vest to wear tomorrow in Lethbridge, but I'm going to order the Folkwear pattern to make the jacket. I will definitely lengthen the body.

Thanks again!
On Sun Jun 08, 2014 04:14 PM
Dancinlassie, how is it going with your jacket?

ReplySendWatch