Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Highland - Adult Dancers
Becoming Self Taught
By KimberleyTheresa Comments: 8, member since Wed Nov 13, 2013
On Wed May 07, 2014 06:08 AM

Hello all :)

I'm wondering if it's possible for a complete beginner (such as myself) to become a self taught highland dancer?

If so, great! Can I ask for help?

Where can I find informative videos/posts on teaching myself?

How do you all practise at home?

What do you never go a day without practising?

Apologies for all these questions, thanks :)

8 Replies to Becoming Self Taught

re: Becoming Self Taught
By ScottishLilt Comments: 46, member since Tue Oct 01, 2013
On Wed May 07, 2014 07:36 AM
Hello :)

I think its possible to learn the steps through videos- there is a series on Youtube made by Kira Cogswell (I believe) who teaches the steps to the Fling and Sword, I believe. There are also so many highland dance videos on Youtube now that I'm sure if you watched enough you would be able to mimic the steps.

However, having a dance teacher is important to watch and give corrections to make sure you're doing the steps properly, so if you have any ambitions of competing, you would need a teacher in order to be successful. Dance teachers are also important in order to make sure you are doing the moves properly so as not to injure yourself.

I teach dance several times/week, so I don't necessarily practise at home, but I do like to bust out a dance every now and again and I stretch every night.

Hope this helps!
By LingScot Comments: 1036, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Wed May 07, 2014 02:27 PM
You might find this thread helpful:

www.dance.net . . .

That said, it's generally going to be better and safer to learn the technique from a certified teacher. You won't be allowed to compete, for example, if you don't have a registered teacher who can sign you up, and even if competing is not something you're interested in, a teacher can help you figure out how to approach dancing safely and effectively to meet your goals. There are a number of websites that can help you find a teacher, and people here may be able to help you if you can tell us a bit about where you live!
By KimberleyTheresa Comments: 8, member since Wed Nov 13, 2013
On Wed May 07, 2014 02:39 PM
Thanks for replying :)
I love in Manchester, England & I have been having no luck at all finding a teacher close to me, that's what I began looking into teaching myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated
By LingScot Comments: 1036, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Thu May 08, 2014 12:29 AM
I don't know much about teachers in England, but maybe someone else can help? Did you try this group? www.humphreypark.co.uk . . .
By WeeDancersMama Comments: 65, member since Tue Jul 28, 2009
On Thu May 08, 2014 07:28 AM
I believe that Sarah Breckenridge teaches in Manchester and runs the Breckenridge School of Highland Dancing. Her email is s.breckenridge@yahoo.co.uk
By Hannahmom Comments: 1090, member since Sat Apr 01, 2006
On Thu May 15, 2014 01:01 PM
I know of some dancers that take lessons via "Skype", not sure the teacher that does it, but I believe she is Canadian.
By batd_teacherPremium member Comments: 2551, member since Mon Feb 23, 2004
On Thu May 15, 2014 01:17 PM
I've done Skype lessons for students who are away at post-secondary. Not the most ideal way, but helps to keep the practicing at the forefront of their mind when not studying. You need to ensure a good quality connection and undisturbed location (nothing like a roommate strolling through making comments! lol)
By dancingnatalie Comments: 28, member since Fri Apr 18, 2014
On Sat May 24, 2014 10:17 PM
It is quite possible! There are many tutorials on youtube for beginner dancers. However, it may be a better idea to go to a class if you don't learn by seeing :)

ReplySendWatch