Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe shoe recommendations please?
By kellyballetviol
On Wed May 07, 2014 07:29 AM
Edited by kellyballetviol (261157) on 2014-05-07 07:34:05

Hi! I'm Kelly and I've been dancing for the past 4-5 years. I've been on pointe for the past year. I'm trying to find a good pair of pointe shoes that will look good on my feet but won't die really quickly (my first pointe shoes: Capezio Contemporas died in less than 4 months, which was really annoying, even though they broke in really quickly). Currently, I take 2 pointe classes a week for 45 minutes each but our teacher also tells us to practice at home but I just do really basic releves and echappes (no turns), which would take around 60 minutes per week.

Toe configuration: somewhat tapered
Toe length: long
Arch height/strength: medium, flexible-ish, strong
Foot width: medium-wide
Instep height: medium
Any special foot issues: small bunions and bunionettes, moderately compressible feet

Thanks!

11 Replies to Pointe shoe recommendations please?

re: Pointe shoe recommendations please?
By ElleMcG
On Wed May 07, 2014 08:33 AM
I would say a slightly tapered box and a high vamp (long toes). Not sure what your profile is - when you stand, how high is the top of your foot... Metatarsal area from the floor. sound like Grishko 2007's would be worth a try... Medium or hard shank - they also make Nova's and Dream Pointe which are made on the same last (mold) as 2007's with slight variances. Russian Pointe Saphir might also be worth checking out.

if you are really doing pointe 2.5 hrs a week... It is not uncommon to go through a pair every 3-4 weeks, especially with strong feet - so ... Just sayin'!
re: Pointe shoe recommendations please? (karma: 1)
By SharonDet
On Wed May 07, 2014 01:18 PM
Find a fabulous pointe shoe fitter and go from there. 4 months for the amount of time you are dancing seems quite reasonable for shoe breakdown to me. I'm surprised they lasted that long!
By hummingbird
On Wed May 07, 2014 01:30 PM
I agree, if you're doing that much pointe work then they've done well and lasted quite a long time.
By kellyballetviol
On Thu May 08, 2014 12:01 AM
@ElleMcG I have a high profile - if you know, what will happen if I have high profile feet and use low profile shoes? And what type of pointe shoes are for high profile feet? And thanks! - I will try Grishko 2007s next time I go to a ballet shop.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I didn't know how long pointe shoes were supposed to last for since some girls at my studio have had pointe shoes that lasted over a year (and for a few: 2 years!). Or maybe it's because they have weaker feet.
By ElleMcG
On Thu May 08, 2014 03:52 PM
Oh... High profile! 2007's are pretty low. here, let me send you a link...

www.the-perfect-pointe.com . . .

This is pretty helpful! gives you at least a start on what to try!

good luck!
By taxi4ballet
On Mon May 19, 2014 07:36 AM
Everyone wears out their pointe shoes differently and 4 months is pretty good - I've known my dd get through a pair of Bloch Serenades in one class!
By kellyballetviol
On Mon May 19, 2014 09:41 AM
Wow! Also, thanks everyone! Guess I shouldn't be worrying about my pointe shoes dying too quickly then! Also, sorry if I took a long time to reply. I'm having my IGCSE exams (like SAT but for younger people - if you're from the US) so it's been pretty hectic. It's really hard trying to find shoes for high profile feet though...I'll just wait until the "Perfect Pointe" website is back up online and I'll try that! @ElleMcG Thanks for the website!
By DancersMamaBear
On Mon May 19, 2014 12:18 PM
Shoes are so personal and you need ones that work because your feet are your tools - so choose with care. With that said, DDD has grown up in Grishko, and we love them! They have different styles providing you different options for vamps and shanks. She started pointe in 2007. She has since moved through several styles, but wears them out evenly (shank and box) and dances through her legs not her shoes. Important with shank selection.

Sounds like you are tracking the time in your shoes, which is a great start. A good fitter, that works with you and has you do plies extra at a bar with new shoes on, is needed - might be hard to find - ask your friends where they go. Hours in shoes will guide any fitter but so will knowing your feet - do they sweat, are they narrow, and shape of your toes. You might go through a few makers - but its so important. Good luck!
By Balletstar5678
On Sun May 25, 2014 07:35 AM
It really just depends on what kind you like the best and the kind that is most comfortable to you. I have the Bloch Balance European and those and amazing. I've also have had the Bloch heritage. Hope this helps!!! :)
By kellyballetviol
On Sun May 25, 2014 09:51 AM
I'll try out Bloch Heritage next time! The profile of the Grishko 2007s were a bit low so I went with Bloch Sonatas even though they're a little soft compared to my previous ones and the box is a teensy bit roomy but only a bit. They're really comfy though! I don't even need toe pads! I've only been wearing them for 3 hours so far though in class so I guess I should wait a longer time before judging. They are so comfy though!
By pointeshoes15
On Fri May 30, 2014 09:47 AM
I use grisko pro. My feet are alot like yours, and its compleatly normal for a shoe to be dead within 4 months. Mine used to last three, then I started dancing on pointe for performances so now they only last 2and a half. So I hope this helped.

ReplySendWatch