Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Highland - Adult Dancers
Getting back into dance
By highrishdancer19member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 140, member since Fri Jan 02, 2009
On Wed May 07, 2014 07:37 AM

After a few years off from dance, i've decided to take up a class again -- so far i csn make it through the fling -- you know, without getting off beat or passing out -- help! Any tips for returning dancers.?

3 Replies to Getting back into dance

re: Getting back into dance
By seannettaPremium member Comments: 2312, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Wed May 07, 2014 09:30 AM
My number one tip is: take it easy! I know it's frustrating to return to dance and not be at full strength or stamina, because I've done it before myself. But the worst thing you can do right now is push yourself too hard -- if your body can't keep up yet, listen to it and start slow. Maybe this week you only do two steps of the Fling. If you're feeling good with that, next week add another one. And so on.

In the meantime, general strength and stamina exercises will help too. If you swim, run or bike, all those things can help build up your general fitness, which you can apply to dance. But absolutely take it slowly, so that you don't injure yourself.
By dancingnatalie Comments: 28, member since Fri Apr 18, 2014
On Sat May 24, 2014 10:03 PM
I recently back after almost 3 years, it was hard at first but my body soon remembered it. Just remember to take it easy, drink lots of water, and WARM UP
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Sat May 24, 2014 10:46 PM
Do shin splint prevention exercises (google it) and wear shoes such as toe and heel golds or hullachans which have shock absorbing padding. Almost everyone I have met who is just starting up gets shin pain for the first few months.

ReplySendWatch