Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Highland - Adult Dancers
Strength & Flexibility
By KimberleyTheresa Comments: 8, member since Wed Nov 13, 2013
On Wed May 07, 2014 08:45 AM

How do you build up your strength and flexibility for highland?

Does anyone have a routine they follow or certain exercises they swear by?

Are strength & flexibility exercises created for ballet useful for highland? I've been using routines which are aimed at ballerinas because they help improve turnout & leg strength

2 Replies to Strength & Flexibility

re: Strength & Flexibility
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Sat May 10, 2014 01:13 PM
Swimming lengths is excellent for stamina and doesn't add to the high impact we already put on our bodies with Highland. (shin splints, anyone?) So that's my favorite strength/stamina exercise.

Yes, ballet exercises should be very useful. I took ballet for many years and it greatly improved my highland.

As for stretching, the most important muscles for Highland are hips (turn out muscles), calves, middle splits, etc. but I try and stretch as many muscles as I can, since they're all connected. Everything helps, honestly. Yoga is very good for flexibility, and I've heard great things about pilates. (although I've never tried it)
re: Strength & Flexibility
By lj100 Comments: 366, member since Mon Sep 26, 2011
On Sun May 11, 2014 01:33 AM
my daughter, although not an adult, takes freestyle disco classes and is now very flexible in her hips. it has also increased her stamina and strength and, I believe, its made her a better Highland dancer

ReplySendWatch