Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

23 years old, wish to do pointe.
By CarolineEm
On Wed May 07, 2014 01:06 PM

I'm 23 years old. I did a tiny bit of ballet as a child, I know a few of the basic positions and such. I would like to do ballet now more seriously, and eventually move on to pointe work. Realistically, how much time would I have to spend per week dancing to do this? Is anyone else a adult beginner?

3 Replies to 23 years old, wish to do pointe.

re: 23 years old, wish to do pointe. (karma: 1)
By hummingbird
On Wed May 07, 2014 01:27 PM
There are quite a few adult dancers here on DDN, some of them have danced for years and some started as adults, whatever your age or experience the absolute minimum for anyone doing pointe is three hours of classical ballet technique per week, plus your pointe classes. Any school saying you don't need this much is one to steer well clear of because they really don't know what they're doing.

If you really want to go en pointe then you'll need to get some technique under your belt before you get anywhere near a pair of pointe shoes, it's not impossible, but you will need to invest quite a bit of time, energy and commitment before you get onto pointe.
re: 23 years old, wish to do pointe.
By CarolineEm
On Wed May 07, 2014 01:58 PM
Thanks! No, I absolutely intend on doing basic ballet first. I don't mean to come across like I want to start with pointe.
re: 23 years old, wish to do pointe.
By Elindranythmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 08, 2014 06:55 PM
Just to give you an example, I started ballet when I was 25, with one class a week. The next year I joined the pre-pointe class in addition to my other ballet class, the third year I added a second ballet class. After my third year, I was approved for pointe with the caveat that I would continue taking two additional ballet technique classes.

ReplySendWatch