Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Pregnant and Competitive??
By PointYerToe24
On Sat May 10, 2014 08:53 AM
Edited by PointYerToe24 (266822) on 2014-05-10 08:54:16 Weird characters

Hey, all! This seemed like the place to potentially get some perspective and advice- has anyone ever continued dancing during pregnancy and then returned to competition afterward? I am five months pregnant and struggling with my declining dancing ability due to the little one! Technically, I am an open champ dancer- I am craving intensity that I can't get right now, and I am very worried I won't be able to return to my full potential for one more worlds, etcetera. What did you all do.....?

1) During pregnancy to stay in relatively good shape for dance so that you could return to competition after delivery?
2) How did you keep from losing hope?
3) How long after delivery were you back on your feet and ready for exercise action?

Thanks for the info!!

4 Replies to Pregnant and Competitive??

re: Pregnant and Competitive??
By RinceorNosretep
On Sat May 10, 2014 03:12 PM
Welcome! I am also pregnant, about two months behind you. :) As this is my first child, I don't really have any experience yet to speak from but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone in this journey into the 'unknown'. So far I'm doing okay; I struggled with really bad all-day sickness but thank goodness that has calmed down finally these past two weeks. I'm not an open champ yet (currently top end of intermediate) but I've been working really hard to get there. I'm going to talk to my ob at my next appointment about the very things you're asking, what exercises I shouldn't do, what I can do to keep my fitness up when my belly is too big for Irish dance, etc.

There was actually a thread on the topic of your third question just a month ago, here's the link: www.dance.net . . .
By PointYerToe24
On Mon May 12, 2014 03:50 PM
Fantastic! I am glad I am not alone!! Let me know if ican give you any advice (for the few days I am head of you)!

Good luck and thanks for the thread!
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 12, 2014 04:19 PM
Good luck! While you won't be able to go full out, I encourage you to keep dancing as long as your body lets you, because it makes coming back afterwords so much easier!
re: Pregnant and Competitive?? (karma: 1)
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 12, 2014 04:47 PM
I've replied to a few similar threads so I won't go into a TON of detail, but:

I've come back to competitive dancing after 3 pregnancies and done pretty darn well for myself. It's tougher to keep up a good practice schedule with a little one, but there is absolutely no reason you should have to give up competing if it's a priority.

For me, dance is definitely "my" time and it's helped me a lot in keeping my own identity vs completely losing myself in the "mommy" aspect of life. Being a parent is the most important part of my life, but it's certainly not the only part. Dance helps me maintain that.

You'll be just fine- don't strain yourself but dance as long as you can! I'm on pregnancy #4, am (almost) 33 weeks, and still "dance" at class, although I wear dance sneakers for more support/cushioning and only really do the beginner steps. The more you're able to keep moving, the stronger your core will stay and the easier it'll be to get back after baby.

ReplySendWatch