Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Competitions

Ballet - Competitions
Yagp choreography confusion
By bellaftmaxi Comments: 34, member since Sun Mar 24, 2013
On Sat May 10, 2014 12:43 PM

In yagp do the solo variations have to be by the choreographer specified or can they be your own choreography to the variation

8 Replies to Yagp choreography confusion

re: Yagp choreography confusion
By bellaftmaxi Comments: 34, member since Sun Mar 24, 2013
On Sat May 10, 2014 12:44 PM
It's really important I know
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2268, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Sat May 10, 2014 01:30 PM
I believe they have to be traditional choreography, though they can be simplified for younger dancers. They would not be able to compare technique if it was your own version.
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Sat May 10, 2014 09:34 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2014-05-10 21:35:20
Great question.

My related question is: where does one go to find these variations described? Are they published in a document? How does a teacher know or find out what to teach a student towards performing a particular variation?

I have also come across the term (in competition regulations) "solo set". What does this expression mean? Does it mean that the choreo is 'set' as in fixed and every competitor is meant to dance the same identical steps but with their individual interpretation, and be judged and scored on how well they executed their attempt ?; or is it a 'set' as in a collection of moves?
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2268, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Sun May 11, 2014 10:48 AM
Most of the variations are available on YouTube. Solo Set is a set solo that, if I recall correctly, the students are taught in the YAGP classes (at the competition) that they must then perform for judges. These solos are not performed on stage but in the classes themselves.

If you google YAGP, you might find some articles and info on various sites, not just on its own site. I have several, young classmates who have attended. And one of my teachers frequently gets the teacher award at these competitions.
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Sun May 11, 2014 07:22 PM
Also, dancers in a higher level of training learn these classic variations in classes. It's part of the training. The teachers themselves learned them in classes when they were training themselves as well as when they were professional dancers (if they were).
On Mon May 12, 2014 02:37 PM
melissaga wrote:

Also, dancers in a higher level of training learn these classic variations in classes. It's part of the training. The teachers themselves learned them in classes when they were training themselves as well as when they were professional dancers (if they were).

So the variations are just handed down by word of mouth and execution, nothings been recorded?

The Balanchine trust, do they somehow formally document the choreo so that it can be reproduced faithfully? Meven then I have seen the POB and the NYCB both perform the identical number of Emeralds (videos from the library) and POB uses a slower tempo... Yet tempo is one of the easiest things to specify.
On Mon May 12, 2014 02:40 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2014-05-12 14:40:47
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2014-05-12 14:43:21
Storm_Trouper wrote:

Great question.

My related question is: where does one go to find these variations described? Are they published in a document? How does a teacher know or find out what to teach a student towards performing a particular variation?

Sorry, I meant ANY variations, not just YAGP-specified choreo that is delivered and presented off stage as part of the competitive assessment approach or package.

For instance if I wanted to know the pas de deux from a particular act and scene of a particular ballet by a particulsr choreographer, is there some way to find this out besides watching a video recording?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon May 12, 2014 02:43 PM
There is notation. But it is being replaced with video recordings.

en.wikipedia.org . . .

en.wikipedia.org . . .

ReplySendWatch