Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Back, and now a Coimisiun dancer
By monochrome
On Sun May 11, 2014 08:44 PM

The last time I was on these boards, my CRN teacher had just ended our adult class. I was quite sad, as I'd been happy with my progress in CRN. After a few months I started in the other local adult class, this one Coimisiun. It's been really fun. I've been pushing myself to adapt to the new style, and wow is it different. But the dances have been a fun challenge. CRN's style doesn't emphasize crossover or leaps and high kicks, so I've had to get a lot more flexible, but my knees are holding up so far.

I'm apparently entering my first feis next month! My teacher suggested that I start in novice, which seems reasonable. I was dancing mean grad in CRN. I guess I just wear a skirt and top - I'll miss my shiny school dress from my last school!

Anyway, I'm excited to be back dancing! Even if I do think I prefer the CRN style overall. My old teacher was amazing, and I'm glad I learned so much from him. I miss him. But this new class has more people my age and younger, including some old friends, so I'm enjoying it a lot!

3 Replies to Back, and now a Coimisiun dancer

re: Back, and now a Coimisiun dancer
By celticwhim
On Sat May 31, 2014 12:25 PM
I've always been curious as to the difference between the styles. I've heard there is a bit of rivalry against the two groups, which I find ridiculous! I've seen CRN dancing and I think it is gorgeous. Glad you found a new school, it's always sad when something you love comes to an end. I think I would stop breathing if I couldn't dance, lol. So glad to welcome a new adult dancer to our neck of the woods! :)
By monochrome
On Mon Jun 02, 2014 07:32 PM
One way I describe the difference to my new class: all CRN hard-shoe dances are like the traditional set dances. Or in other words, the traditional sets are the thing that is most similar between the two orgs. (At the champion levels, the CRN dances aren't so different from CLRG these days, though.)

CRN is so much smaller than CLRG in the US that I haven't really felt any rivalry but then again adults aren't as into rivalry anyway! I've heard it's different in Ireland where CRN isn't so small.
By kate_monster
On Tue Jun 03, 2014 03:37 PM
Crossover isn't emphasized as much? I've only ever done CLRG, so I can't imagine it any other way! I figure turnout is a huge deal though?

Glad you're back! Dance is still dance, and it's always fun. :)

ReplySendWatch