Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Nation's Capital feis!
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 12, 2014 09:05 AM

Well, I was thinking about going and wasn't, but then I saw that I had enough Delta miles to cover the airfare, so now I've got a plane ticket, and I'm GOING! Still need to pay for my registration and book a hotel room, though.

Who else is going? I hope the advanced beginner numbers are good!

Also, on the syllabus, I saw the "showcase style," competition, and that looked fun. If anyone here did it last year, I have some questions. Can the hardshoe dances be at traditional speed, and if so, do Y'all think it would be worth trying as an advanced beginner? Also, 48 bars is three steps, and 40 is 2.5, right?

Maybe I should just send an email to the feis organizer, lol

25 Replies to Nation's Capital feis!

re: Nation's Capital feis!
By Joyette78
On Mon May 12, 2014 05:43 PM
Hurrah! I haven't registered yet, but this one is BIG as far as adults go. Generally all levels are quite solid with numbers since we know numbers are big. (It's a self-fulfilling prophecy type situation.) I haven't done the showcase style myself, but it's a fun one to watch. Someone will have to chip in about length of steps.

I generally stick to the "core four" dances, but I may throw light jig back in this year. Something else to note, the past few years have run dances backtobacktoback... which means if your stamina is iffy, WHOO! It's a "tad" tiring, which is why I no longer do every solo dance available.

Hardshoe does follow the standard syllabus of traditional speed for beginner and advanced beginner. Novice and PW are asked for choice of speed. Also, an added bonus, because we usually use the champ stage after they are done with it, we have the space to really spread out and dance! It's definitely worth dancing anything you can for this feis.

Something else that Mrs. James does for this feis, is refund the spectator/family fee for solo adults! If you're not part of a dancing family, you'll get a check back when you pick up your competitor number. Whoo hoo!! This is HUGE, and I wish more feiseanna would do this. My family isn't driving 800 miles to watch me.

There are many of DDRs who have regularly competed Nations Cap, and I know they'll swing by to offer their insight, too.

OH! And before I forget, we set up a dinner the night before at the hotel restaurant. It was so fun!! We'll have to try to set that up again this year.
On Mon May 12, 2014 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info! I think I'll start working on my stamina now, haha!
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 12, 2014 06:29 PM
I love love love the idea of refunding family fees to solo adults. I hope the same applies for the 16 and over crowd who may drive themselves too. Some day I hope to get to Nation's Cap as I hear great things about it every year, but I have 2.5 year old and my husband works weekends (he's a nurse and works weekend contract so he's home during the week with our son). The drive and hotel, while feasible, are not exactly easy or desireable. When he gets a bit older however...
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 12, 2014 07:26 PM
unfortunately they are only offering the refund to the adults who dance on Saturday. Us adults who come by ourselves and dance on Sunday in the and overs still have the fee. :( but I think it is absolutely splendid that they are refunding it for the adult dancers. Its very supportive of them!
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 12, 2014 08:57 PM
Gann, watch and learn while you are up for the feis. You are about to go "to school" in a big way. Yes, you can dance traditional speeds for the showcase style special. 3 steps for reel, 2.5 for slip jig. Yes,, you should go for it. It is an excellent learning experience. Yes, you should also stay at the feis hotel. And, yes, you should go for the dinner on Friday night with other adult dancers. Nation's Capitol is a wonderful feis, especially for Adult dancers. H should be there. You should remember him from KOS in January.

Joyette78's hard shoe is something to behold. She is a power house. Highlandancer has amazing, jaw dropping skills in soft shoe dances. They are both PW Adult dancers. Many talented and amazing Adults attend Nation's Capitol Feis. I am glad that you planning to attend.
On Tue May 13, 2014 09:14 AM
Sadly, I wouldn't be able to make it for dinner. I really can't miss work, so I'm not getting into DC until 8 or 9pm.

Thanks for tips about the showcase comp. I know a third reel step, so that's just a matter of practicing it. Hornpipe though, learning another step in time would be pretty hard. Well, I have til the end of june to make up my mind.
By kate_monster
On Fri May 16, 2014 10:54 AM
chevrecheval has it right. You're allowed to do traditional steps for the showcase. I wish all feisanna had an adult showcase. It's sort of like a championship for adults!

I got to work the stage last year and had a blast! Hope to do the same this year! Trying to convince some girls from my school who started late last year to sign up!
By irishstep
On Fri Jun 06, 2014 01:01 PM
I have registered but have yet to pay. Will be doing open category and all dances except soft jig. Will also be registering for the showcase. I'm very excited but nervous at the same time. I'll probably be going alone but unless I fly down I probably will miss the dinner. :(. It's about a six hour drive from Ct.
By highlanddncr
On Fri Jun 06, 2014 04:04 PM
I'll be there! Not doing the showcase since my hardshoe skills lag behind softshoe, I would be out of my level in the hardshoe but I am doing the main four plus set I think. I am totally in for the dinner the night before- it was a great time last year!!
By Joyette78
On Fri Jun 06, 2014 04:19 PM
Since so many are coming in later, why don't we all eat after we finish on Saturday. We usually finish up before dinner time, so it may work better. I don't know why that didn't dawn on me last year. :)
By highlanddncr
On Sat Jun 07, 2014 02:16 PM
That works better for me :)
On Sun Jun 08, 2014 08:10 PM
Saturday dinner works better for me too.

Eh, I'm signed up but not paid for showcase. I'm way out of my league for both hard and soft there, but it sounds like a fun event. Still not sure if I'm going to actually pay and do it. I'd be doing it for the experience.
By irishstep
On Thu Jun 26, 2014 08:58 PM
Edited by irishstep (255228) on 2014-06-26 21:26:05 Posted twice accidentally
I'm all registered and the numbers are looking pretty good. Love a good competition.
By irishstep
On Thu Jun 26, 2014 09:00 PM
I'm all registered and the numbers are looking pretty good. Love a good competition. Just got 2 new horn pipe steps. I hope I can get them Feis ready.
❤️🍀💃
On Thu Jun 26, 2014 09:48 PM
I'm paid up too. I decided against the showcase because there's no way I could get my stamina up in time. And I don't mean "enough stamina to have a shot at placing," I mean more like "enough stamina to finish that much dancing without collapsing." I'll just enjoy watching this year.

I'm also both excited and nervous for the numbers. This is going to be my biggest feis to date!
By highlanddncr
On Thu Jul 24, 2014 08:15 AM
So are we all still on for meeting up? Maybe we can make it a late lunch instead of dinner?
By highlanddncr
On Thu Jul 24, 2014 09:25 PM
meant to comment earlier but I love your definition of stamina Gann! Normally my stamina is pretty good but all last spring and this summer I've been having some on and off health issues and my goal is now to make it through dances without falling over. We will have to give each other the pep talk my old highland teacher used to give- "I want you to give it all you've got and I promise that if you collapse I will drag your body off the stage". Haha!
On Thu Jul 24, 2014 09:44 PM
I'm all for a pre-dance pep talk! I'm planning on getting dressed, ready, and near the stage a little early, so I'll be around to give good luck wishes to any dancers I see :)
By cecescullymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:07 PM
Hi, all!
I'll be there too - looking forward to it! I'm nervous because I, too, have some stamina issues - I'm coming back from a knee injury / tendonitis, so I haven't been practicing as much as I should have. Ah well, I'm in it for the fun of it all (I keep reminding myself, lol) See you all there!
By irishstep
On Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:07 PM
What a great Feis. Congratulations everyone. It was great meeting a lot of you. I think we rocked it.
By irishstep
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 07:48 AM
Has anyone received their marks/comments from the judge?
I usually get them emailed to me but I heard they may be sending them to our teachers.
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:57 AM
Irish step you actually can see them on feis worxs. Log in and on one of your pages there is a button that says "personal results" results and any comments are there
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 02:02 PM
sorry for the weak response above, I was at work. log in to feisworx which will take you to the "My Registrations" page. Top left, third button down says "personal results". On next page choose "show results" button which is next to your name button. That will take you to your results. Should show dance, placing, judge and comments. Hope that helps.
By irishstep
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 05:10 PM
Hey thanks a lot. I haven't used feisworx too much. It's more Feis web from this part of the country. I enjoyed the Feis quite a bit. But I wish I had stayed z little longer. I thought there was a lot if great dancers too.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch