Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Mirror for practice space
By dancinginflorida
On Tue May 13, 2014 10:03 AM

A kind friend gave me a very large mirror that she was no longer using to use for dance practice. (It seems that we are slowly turning one room of our home into a mini studio which I can't say my husband is thrilled about. But I figure my daughter will need it soon enough!)

Anyway, dancing with a mirror has turned out to be helpful except that it has revealed to me all of the jiggly bits that appear when I dance. It's horrifying! I'm not overweight but I am terribly out of shape and haven't done much exercise in the past few years. I think seeing that has given me a whole new motivation! Please tell me someone can relate. :)

6 Replies to Mirror for practice space

re: Mirror for practice space
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 13, 2014 01:29 PM
hahaha! I can. I try not to look in the mirror when I can avoid it and we don't have mirrors in class. I am vain. I wear my dance briefs under my shorts when I practice because it decreases the "hey I had a baby years ago" tummy jiggle. :)
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 13, 2014 02:12 PM
Personally I think it should be understood that *everyone* jiggles! It's rare not to IMHO. Don't hide away or be ashamed.

On a side note, I *really* need mirrors for my practice space.
By GirlGeekPremium member
On Tue May 13, 2014 02:32 PM
Definitely can relate, though the situation's improving. I wouldn't do without a mirror, though, especially when I'm trying to make sure a new bit has consistent turnout, etc. If I'm processing new steps, I have trouble noticing technical errors by feel, so the visual feedback is beneficial.
By monochrome
On Tue May 13, 2014 07:34 PM
I can relate for sure! I don't always remember to wear a more supportive bra for class, and I hadn't realized how... floppy it looked until I was back in a practice space with mirrors.

The mirrors in my studio are all slightly warped in different ways. So in one part of the room I always look thin, and in another I look a bit heavy. Of course I want to believe the thin mirror and subconsciously I try to dance on that side of the room!
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 14, 2014 07:29 AM
I've realized even the most in-shape people jiggle ;)

I have built legs, especially thighs, and you know what? They're THE most jiggly things on my entire body. Even muscular people jiggle and I just have learned to accept it. Thankfully, I won't have to worry about jiggling anywhere else (thanks, mom, for the AA chest...hehehehe ;) ). Have you ever seen someone running on the beach? I'm talking a fast sprinter - their legs jiggle like crazy! I guess it's because of all the muscle mass. And in dance, every move doesn't use the same leg muscles...if we ever do a series of shuffles one after the other, our thighs jiggle like crazy because that particular move doesn't necessarily use our quads and inner thighs.

If anyone is looking for practice mirrors - I always see some on my local Craigslist for cheap! Especially if there's a crack in it or discoloration somewhere.

PS - I also let my times of low self-esteem build me back up and motivate me. Jiggly thighs? More squats and plies! Jiggly belly? 2 min plank! ;) Turn it into something positive! :)
By StepdancerPremium member
On Wed May 14, 2014 04:50 PM
I hear you! Irish dance is especially unkind to to even the smallest jiggly bit. When you think about it, we're always hopping, always in vertical motion, and that means everything on us is also in vertical motion--hair, jewelry, body parts. ;) This includes body parts we don't usually think of as moving up and down. A friend of mine was astonished to see her cheeks bouncing up and down on a video--she wasn't a heavy person, but she did have a very round face. I have almost nothing in the way of a visible gut, but the little I have boings! up and down when I dance, only to politely disappear as soon as I stop. :P The older I get, the softer I get, so even though my bits aren't larger (yet!), they are softer, which means they jiggle more. I wear at least one, sometimes two types of body briefers beneath my costumes, plus my tights just to hold everything in more firmly. So far it's working. *crosses fingers*

ReplySendWatch