Forum: Advice / Ask a Parent

Ask a Parent
What are your views on rock bands? Rock isn't Devils Music.
By balletisawesome Comments: 74, member since Sat May 02, 2009
On Tue May 13, 2014 03:48 PM

Hi all. I'm a 20 year old fan of every kind of rockband you can think of. Screaming, to death metal (theres a difference) to slower rock. Some parents are really cool about their kids listeing to whatever they want to. But others are just very authoritarian about music.

See I understand you're the parent and you want control but if you keep banning music that's going to make the kid want to rebel and listen to it more. Alot of those "screaming devil-music" bands have better lyrics than anything mainstream rap artists have. Just saying :).

6 Replies to What are your views on rock bands? Rock isn't Devils Music.

re: What are your views on rock bands? Rock isn't Devils Music.
On Tue May 13, 2014 03:50 PM
Oh and I can also help give advice as to what good bands are out there. And if you me to check out a band your kid is listening to i'll tell you what they're about. My future job is a music journalist so yeah. Dancings just a hobby of mine :).
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue May 13, 2014 06:08 PM
You're not making a super fantastic case though - "If you ban your kids from stuff, they'll just want to do it more" isn't really the selling point you were hoping for, I don't think.

I don't much care. For my personal preference, I listen to country, but I download music like a fiend, because I always like to have the coolest stuff for my kids at the studio, and they like all sorts of stuff. I really turned one of my girls on to Bruno Mars this year, which was cool. The death metal, screaming stuff isn't my bag though. :/

My husband's favorite is classic rock, and weirdly, our seven year old seems to like hip-hop the best.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue May 13, 2014 11:25 PM
If you're looking to be a music journalist, you may wish to widen your knowledge of music to more than just 'rock', as very few journalists are sent to cover their favourite genres/artists/stories only. And give a more detailed argument than "yeah, just saying". :)

I'm more of an indie-folk rock person. I grew up listening to Dio, Pink Floyd and ABBA among other things, and I'm likewise giving my son a well-rounded appreciation of music with exposure to a lot of different genres: from power metal to hip-hop to classic rock to orchestral scores, jazz and classical.

Screaming isn't to my taste (and it must be dreadful on the singer's vocals), but neither is rap. Or, quite frankly, a lot of the top-40 songs. As long as I don't have to hear it, live and let live. It would be a terribly dull place if everybody liked the same things.

(And incidentally - the whole "Devil's Music" thing? Do people actually say that?!)
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Thu May 15, 2014 08:34 AM
You and my partner will get along really well. He dragged me to Soundwave which is like a music festival of all kinds of rock, especially metal and screaming. I now know all the bands; Parkway Drive, Sonic Syndicate, Opeth, House vs Hurricane, Bullet for my Valentine, Killswitch Engage, In Flames - you name it and I'll know it.

I'm more into jazz (Ella Fritzgerald!), classical and instrumentals. I may get really into some popular songs like Lady Gaga's stuff, but it's a short lived affair. Currently I'm addicted to 'Instant Crush' by Daft Punk and Lana del Rey is lovely.

Personally, I feel that if you're going to judge you're own child based on the music they like then it doesn't reflect very nicely on what kind of parent you are. I understand parents can be worried, but if parents really cared about their children and what their hobbies are they would educate themselves about it and try to understand their child's POV rather than go all 'DEVIL MUSIC' on them. While it seems like no parent would do this, my sister's biological dad thought she did drugs and wouldn't let her have friends because she listened to rock music and told her it's all about worshiping the devil.
It does happen and it's probably why I think you're a failure as a parent to dare to judge your child over something as trivial as personal preference. It's like yelling at your kid for liking vanilla instead of chocolate.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat May 17, 2014 09:01 AM
I'm just classic 80's stadium rock girl myself. Nothing beats 80's classic rock in my book. Not a whole lot of screaming, and you can actually understand the verse's, and hear the different melodies.
On Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:31 AM
I also am into mainstream stuff too, like Bruno Mars, I think he's fantastic. I like other stuff too, I feel that its other people who have to get into other bands. Obv screaming bands and stuff are harder to get into and I understand that. I just wanted the understanding that most of the lyrics aren't too bad. It just depends upon the band and what subgenre of rock they play.

But I think pop punk would be the easiest to get into. Bands Like Real Friends, Knuckle Puck, Mayday Parade, All Time Low, The Summer Set, The Ready Set, We Are The In Crowd, Tonight Alive, Pierce The Veil (though not all pop punk bands) are bands that have great lyrics and should be known by more people. :)

And I don't think my sentence was that hard to explain. Some poeple think on the internet that just because a band screams the lyrics are all about the devil or something, which is just ignorancy. That's what I was bringing up. 9/10 bands have WAYYYYY better lyrics than any rap song kids will listen to nowadays. there's nothing wrong with giong into hot topic to huy a few band shirts and attending warped tour. that's what this post was mainly trying to say. and if you're unsure of a band that your child got into i'm here to tell you. Like i'll be up front with you about the lyrics.

ReplySendWatch