Forum: Arts / Fashion

Fashion
What shoes to wear with sapphire blue silk dress
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1532, member since Tue Sep 12, 2006
On Thu May 15, 2014 10:45 AM

I'm going to a semi formal wedding in a few weekends and I decided on a knee-length sapphire blue silk dress. It's empire waisted and has a square neckline. Everything is a solid silk, except for the sleeves which are made out of a sheer fabric. The sleeves are elbow length and have a small band of the silk fabric that has ties on it.
I'm at work so I don't have a picture of the dress itself, but the attached photos are very similar to the dress.
1- similar sleeves and color
2- similar neckline
3-similar sleeves
4- similar back (my dress comes to a V in the back)
5- similar length

The wedding is outside, so I was thinking if maybe some nude colored wedges? Or maybe a nude colored flat sandal? What do you all think?

PS- the wedding is in the evening in Minnesota, I've been told the weather during the day is around 70, but can get a little chilly at night which is why I think this is perfect! :)

I'll post a pic of the actual dress here soon.

4 Replies to What shoes to wear with sapphire blue silk dress

re: What shoes to wear with sapphire blue silk dress
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu May 15, 2014 11:01 AM
No, no, no nude unless you absolutely have to! So boring. I have to wear them in the office sometimes but I never do it anymore unless I have to look professional. So many more fun options.

You're right to go with a wedge or flat if it's outdoors, though, because sinking one's heels into grass is super annoying. I think the dress sounds formal enough that you could wear a strappy flat sandal and not look like you're going to the beach. Wedges can be cute but they can also look clunky, and I wonder if they might look a bit heavy with a dark-coloured, sleeved dress.

Colour, though? You could do tons with a dark blue like that. Red, hot pink, yellow, baby blue, any metallic at all...it really just depends on what you want to accessorize with. If you're not into bright colours like I am, a metallic or a soft lemony-buttery yellow would be nice and less blah than nude.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu May 15, 2014 03:47 PM
Gotta say, I'd totally go with nude. 100%. Maybe because I'm knocking on a bit, but if I wore a contrasting colour I'd feel like I was trying too hard to be edgy or trying to be younger than I am. Nude is classy and, as someone with a long body relative to leg length, a godsend. I actually have a nude suede clutch which would be quite plain but for the addition of nude diamantés - maybe something like that? High fashion in the Irish dance world as I'm sure you know :)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu May 15, 2014 05:12 PM
I'd go with gold or silver. Or a shoe with gold or silver accents.

Wedge would be good for outdoors.
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1532, member since Tue Sep 12, 2006
On Thu May 15, 2014 09:17 PM
Here's the actual dress. Sorry, , my hubby is out of town for the weekend and I don't take good photos of myself. My arms are only so long... :P

ReplySendWatch