Forum: Highland / Highland - National

Highland - National
Ankle socks or knee socks?
By scotsNcats Comments: 26, member since Fri Apr 11, 2014
On Thu May 15, 2014 10:31 PM

Does it matter if you wear ankle socks or knee socks for the national dances? What about for the Jig too?

7 Replies to Ankle socks or knee socks?

re: Ankle socks or knee socks?
By reelfun5 Comments: 24, member since Sun Jun 09, 2013
On Thu Jun 26, 2014 04:20 PM
I have been dancing and competing for many years, and from my experience, I have either seen dancers wear nylons/panty hose for national dances, or ankle socks. I can't say that I have ever seen a dancers wear white knee socks for a national at a competition.
As for the Jig, normally nylons or nothing.

Hope this helps!
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Mon Jul 14, 2014 06:40 PM
The SOBHD dress code states, "Socks: White without frills, ankle or knee high or natural tights may be worn." As long as you fall within those guidelines, you're golden. Most dancers wear whatever they're most comfortable or what their dance teacher prefers. Personally, I tell my students that if they're old enough to wear a bra, they're too old to wear knee or ankle socks for nationals. Just my preference, though :)
By amygrace Comments: 146, member since Sat Jun 27, 2009
On Tue Jul 15, 2014 02:50 AM
I think its fine for knee socks for wee ones with their kilt but I don't like seeing knee socks with national outfits, I think for pre-teens ankle socks look fine and then for older girls tights, that's my preference though
By Catherine392 Comments: 68, member since Fri Feb 04, 2011
On Sat Aug 09, 2014 05:59 PM
My daughters where white knee socks with their national, according to our teacher's directives. They do fine in competition.
By Catherine392 Comments: 68, member since Fri Feb 04, 2011
On Sat Aug 09, 2014 06:00 PM
Sorry for the spelling error! I meant "wear."
By Dancinlassie Comments: 249, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Sat Aug 09, 2014 08:32 PM
I've seen white knee-high socks for National dances, especially the newer dancers who wear them with their kilt.

My DD wore white ankle socks until she became a Premier and then she switched to nylons.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:28 PM
Tights are a pain in the rear when you are in a sweltering hot changing tent with sweaty legs and no where to sit. I always end up getting grass in them or creating a run. I have taken to wearing ankle sox. They look a bit silly but so much more comfortable and quick to get on!

ReplySendWatch