Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
I'm a lefty :/
By Beccabieber13 Comments: 2, member since Sat May 17, 2014
On Sat May 17, 2014 08:29 AM

At my dance studio we do everything on the right however I'm terrible at right. How can I improve on the right. I most need to work on a la seconde turn on the right.

1 Replies to I'm a lefty :/

re: I'm a lefty :/
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 860, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Sun May 25, 2014 08:15 AM
Hello! I'm a lefty too. Everything comes more naturally to me on the left, turns, jumps whatever, even standing on my left leg. I used to blame it on my right knee injury, but I realised that being an ice skater had a huge effect on me. In skating, almost everything goes to the left!
I guess the only ONE way to make your right turns better is to keep practicing. Practice the right pirouettes twice as more as the left and work twice as hard on strengthening. There isn't really any shortcut.

Also, sometimes things that come naturally to us on the left need conscious effort on the right. My ballet teacher also tried to help us in our pirouettes by making us feel like we were turning 'forward' instead of backwards in fouette turns. That really helps me, if I can remember to think about it!
Another tip is to think about little things like arm placement, pulling up in the leg and spotting well.

ReplySendWatch