Forum: General / Travel

Travel
Hypothetical trip to NYC
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun May 18, 2014 11:25 PM

Doing cursory research into a short trip to NYC for four adults. No dates etc. Just coming in on a Friday and leaving on Sunday night. This may or may not happen and at this point if it will, I don't know when it would. Just trying to get a price range. Places of interest: Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo (and Central Park in general), Empire State Building, Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Museum of Natural History and the Met (maybe the MoMA). No shows.

Is it cheaper to stay in New Jersey? I know the hotels are cheaper, but I can't find how much the train ride costs from Newark to Penn Station (I'm probably looking in the wrong place). On my previous trip it was with a school group and we stayed at a hostel and many tickets etc were purchased as part of a group, so this would be a totally different experience.

I kind of know what order to see all of that stuff in an order that makes sense travel wise (of course, might be too much stuff for a short trip). It's just the were to stay thing. Any advice. This would be a once in a lifetime trip for the people I'd be traveling with (my parents and brother), so seeing as much as possible would be great.

7 Replies to Hypothetical trip to NYC

re: Hypothetical trip to NYC
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Mon May 19, 2014 09:18 AM
If you are taking Amtrak, going from Newark to Penn Station can cost as little as $21 but the price can go up dramatically if you don't buy tickets ahead of time, go during rush hour etc. However, there are probably cheaper ways through the NY/NJ transit authority. Instead of going to the Empire State Building, I would recommend going to the Top of the Rock (NBC Studios in Rockefeller Center) and then you can actually see the Empire State Building. As for what order to see things, most of what you want to see is in Manhattan with the exception of the zoo and Statue of Liberty so I would plan on when you want to go to those and then see what else you can fit in, and what can be done day vs. night. I would recommend going to the Top of the Rock (or the Empire State Building if you so choose) at night so you can see the city lit up. That will free you up for activities during the day. When you budget, also make sure you are budgeting for cost of food, even if you just do fast food it does cost more in NY.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon May 19, 2014 10:29 AM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2014-05-19 10:35:51
Thanks for all of the advice! I'm trying to figure out if saving $200 (for all four people) on the hotel (one double room) would be worth the travel costs, or of the travel costs would make up the difference (which it is looking that way). Definitely would be more convenient if we would stay in Manhattan and walk or take the subway.

I didn't get to do Top of the Rock last time I was there, so I like that idea!
re: Hypothetical trip to NYC (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon May 19, 2014 12:44 PM
I know it's expensive but with that "to do" list, you're really better off staying in NY, not NJ. There is a bit of savings, but when you have a centrally located hotel you can bounce in and out and cab it if you have to.

The Bronx Zoo is not centrally located to midtown, and frankly, the Central Park Zoo is just this side of cruelty to animals. I'd skip it. If you want to do the Bronx Zoo, check out cultural activities at Fordham University and see if you can line up the dates. As long as you're trekking all the way up to the Bronx you may as well make it worth your time.

Check out some "off beat" hotels like Hotel on the Avenue and others over on museum row. You're close enough to the Met, the park, and the bus line that you can easily navigate that side of things. You're also on the right side of the island to access Liberty Island if that is your plan. MOMA is kind of expensive and I haven't been there lately... if you have to choose one, I'd go with the MET. The planetarium and the museum of Natural History are both right there as well.

You're welcome to stay with me if you want.... the bus fare is about $35./ into NYC and it is about a 2 hour trip, and you won't have a hotel to use while you're there.... but.... the offer is sincere!

Let me know if you need specific help. I know NY pretty well... or at least well enough.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
On Thu May 22, 2014 11:24 PM
:) If it happens it would probably be next spring. Flight and hotel = ~3,000 (Non-stop flight to Newark, don't want to be sitting in O'hare for 3 hours...). Plus cost of get into everything and spending money. I'm estimating we would need approx. $4,000 for this trip. As long as there are no unexpected expenses in the near future, next spring is most likely.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Fri May 23, 2014 09:55 AM
Omg, what??? Where in earth are you flying from that it's going to cost you 3k?! I thought you lived in the midwest?

There are plenty of more affordable places to stay in NYC, and even Manhattan. I am not entirely sure where cause I have an apartment there and never needed a hotel, but I have friends who have stayed recently for $85/night with wifi and breakfast included. Granted, the room was small, but it worked. I could get the name for you. Staying in Jersey means you have to pay to get back and forth, and that really adds up. Oh, and don't stay in Newark. It's not that close and it's pretty gross. If you must stay in Jersey, stay in Hoboken.

As for places to go...

- The Bronx Zoo may be a difficult task for you without a car. You can take the subway, but you'd have to leave the boro, and that's a big deal to NYers, lol.

- Another out-of-boro trip that's easier via subway is Coney Island (Brooklyn). The boardwalk and aquarium are there.

- The official WTC memorial museum opened this week, finally. I'm pretty sure admission for students is only $18. I know the director and I'm sure it's wonderful, though I haven't been to this new one yet, just the old one.

- There are a million museums: the Met, MoMa, Whitney, Gugenheim (sp), Natural History, etc.

- Broadway shows. Buy discounted tickets at the TKTS booth.

- Rockefeller Center and Empire State Building, as mentioned.

- Eating your way through the East Village, SoHo, Little Italy, and various other areas is always a good time.

There's no lack of things for a tourist to do, but those are the things I could come up with off the top of my head as a native Manhattanite.
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Fri May 23, 2014 10:22 AM
I went to nyc last weekend and we stayed in North Bergen, NJ. When there was no trafic, it was a 15 minute drive. We always took the bus and it was cheap (3$). We also bought a metrocard for 30$ and that was it.
On Fri May 23, 2014 10:25 AM
Approx. $403 per person on a round trip non-stop flight using United Airlines (unless ticket rices change next year). With hotel, it might be more like $2,000. I was using Expedia getting my estimates and looking at hotels near Central Park (which are expensive, but it would be easier to figure out how to get places). But I'd be fine staying a little bit further away from there. Oops. That sounds more reasonable, right?

ReplySendWatch