Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Irish - Beginners
I know I'm not too old, BUT....
By micmac1313 Comments: 7, member since Mon May 19, 2014
On Mon May 19, 2014 01:49 PM

Hi all! I started Irish dancing when I was 7. I danced competitively for about 6 years, then quit Irish dance when playing soccer became my priority (I was playing 5 days a week, and just couldn't make it to my dance classes). I tried Jazz for a couple of years after that...but it just wasn't the same. Irish dance will always be number one in my heart :) Anyways, I have always regretted quitting Irish dance. I am 19 now, and still sometimes find myself going over old dances in my head; needless to say, I would love to start dancing again. I know I'd probably need to start in a beginners class and that I will probably never be an incredible dancer, but if i worked really hard at it, could I be a decent dancer again? I'm not looking to win Worlds, but I do miss flying around the dance floor. Anyone out there start dancing in their late teens? Thanks and much love to you all!

16 Replies to I know I'm not too old, BUT....

re: I know I'm not too old, BUT.... (karma: 1)
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Mon May 19, 2014 01:55 PM
When we lived in the Southern region there was a dancer at dd's school who didn't start Irish dance til around the time she graduated from college. She went on to do very well at the Oireachtas and made it as far as Nationals, and possibly Worlds, I forget. Now we are in New England. A few years ago there was a dancer who tried it briefly as a small child, then didn't dance again until she graduated from nursing school. She made it to Worlds before retiring in her late 20s. Go for it!
re: I know I'm not too old, BUT....
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 822, member since Tue Jul 01, 2008
On Mon May 19, 2014 03:45 PM
Go onto YouTube and look up Jigs & Wigs - Adult Dancers. Its a tv show from Ireland. Among other things they show a woman who recalled at Worlds at 45 years old. If I remember correctly, she only started dancing when she was 40.
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 822, member since Tue Jul 01, 2008
On Mon May 19, 2014 03:49 PM
Go onto YouTube and look up Jigs & Wigs - Adult Dancers. Its a tv show from Ireland. Among other things they show a woman who recalled at Worlds at 45 years old. If I remember correctly, she only started dancing when she was 40.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Mon May 19, 2014 03:49 PM
Hi,
I didn't start irish dance all together until i was 15. I took a 2 year break when i was 20, and just started back up about 7 months ago, and i'm getting ready to compete again. Of course you can start again. You're right in that maybe winning worlds might be a bit far fetched (though certainly possibly if you put the time and effort required to do it), but of course you can compete again and be great! Don't let age or anything like that stop you, you can do it!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Mon May 19, 2014 04:53 PM
If you danced competitively for 6 years, I doubt you would start in beginners! Lots of things will come back to you when you dance again. There are definitely late starters that have done well in competition. It will depend on how much time you can put into it (are you in college?) and how focused your practices are.

Welcome back!
By ReelJiggered Comments: 542, member since Wed Sep 03, 2008
On Mon May 19, 2014 08:04 PM
Hi there! YES you definitely can become the dancer you want to be. I started Irish dancing at 24 years old and I am about to move up into Prelim. You can do it too!

Keep us posted!
K
On Tue May 20, 2014 12:11 AM
Wow, thank you all so much for the encouragement!! I am definitely going to begin to take some classes again. I am in college, so when I have to move back in September I'll have to find another way to get my practice in. But I do have a very long summer, so I'm looking forward to taking it up again. I can't wait! Thanks again, you are all so wonderful.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 AM
You can always see about maybe just working on getting some strength and stamina back at the gym and start with a school near college, rather than working with one that's only available to you 3 months out of the year. Or see if you can find a TC that'd be willing to work with you a little bit and would be willing to let you transfer to a school by college.
By StrattonBlack Comments: 59, member since Mon Apr 22, 2013
On Tue May 20, 2014 05:57 AM
Yes! We have several adults students that have started just in the last year or so (first lessons ever for them) and have done very well in competition and progressed quickly.
Good luck to you!! ;)
By kate_monster Comments: 117, member since Thu Jul 28, 2011
On Thu May 22, 2014 05:30 AM
That's my favorite thing about Irish dance, you can start at any time.
By celticwhim Comments: 19, member since Thu Jan 16, 2014
On Sat May 31, 2014 09:32 PM
Never too old! Lol!
On Sun Jun 01, 2014 04:01 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies! I'm beginning classes as soon as my finals for school are done:) You are all so encouraging...much love to each of you!
By abell989 Comments: 14, member since Sun May 04, 2014
On Wed Jun 04, 2014 04:27 PM
You are never too old to start something new! Many older dancers have had lots of success. I think it's due to the fact that many may be more focused than someone who starts at a young age and then lose interest. I am glad to hear that you are starting classes again, that's so exciting! Much luck to you and hope you have tons of fun.
By RocknMyPoodleSoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 185, member since Fri Jun 05, 2009
On Thu Jun 12, 2014 02:53 PM
I danced as a kid and then got back into after I graduated college. Last year, I went to my first Oireachtas as a soloist! Right now there are 3 of us at my dance school in the over 20 category that compete at majors and this number is growing as people return from college. My teacher says she loves to work with adults because we work so hard and truly have a passion for dance. I agree that beginner might be a little boring for you. Your teacher will be able to place you in the correct class once he/she sees you dance. Best of luck!

Jenny
By NoraStewart Comments: 26, member since Tue Aug 20, 2013
On Sat Jun 21, 2014 05:35 PM
What about considering a less competitive style of Irish dance- that is still challenging but more enjoyable?

There are 6 different styles of Irish dance and I am sure with your experience, you would find any of the other 5 styles enjoyable and interesting.

Have a look at EasyIrishDance.com -> 6 Different Dance Styles for more info or join the conversation on my blog at IrishBliss.wordpress.com and see what others are saying.

Whatever you do, good luck and happy dancing!
Nora
Easy Irish Dance
By newdresswanted Comments: 73, member since Fri Dec 17, 2010
On Sun Jun 22, 2014 05:00 AM
It's never too late. I first walking into an Irish dance studio in 2010. Despite 1 year off with a broken foot I have been able to compete solos at nationals for the first time last year. I didn't recall but can still beat people who have been doing it for 15+ years.
Best of luck with your return!

ReplySendWatch