Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Full floorpoint necessity?
By TrockaderTrainee
On Mon May 19, 2014 08:57 PM

Must everyone have a full floor point before being deemed ready to go en pointe?

Meaning, your toes have to touch the floor from a pointing position while seated, such as in some of the theraband videos?

Allyolsen from youtube has been en pointe for a while, yer the toes of her floor point do not touch the floor:
www.youtube.com . . .

What gives? I thought we all had to be superflexible and strong to get en pointe

9 Replies to Full floorpoint necessity?

re: Full floorpoint necessity?
By hummingbird
On Mon May 19, 2014 09:29 PM
What would a full floor pointe achieve if you had no turnout control, no ab strength and no ability to pull up out of your shoes?

Flexibility isn't everything in dance, in fact flexibility without strength is just a curse!
By TrockaderTrainee
On Tue May 20, 2014 12:39 AM
hummingbird wrote:

What would a full floor pointe achieve if you had no turnout control, no ab strength and no ability to pull up out of your shoes?

Flexibility isn't everything in dance, in fact flexibility without strength is just a curse!

Hi!

So a full floor point isn't necessary to get to pointe? Someone can get to pointe despite not having the full floor pointe such as with Ally Olsen on youtube?

I have a friend that I met who is en pointe, who told me that out of her class she only knew one girl with the full floor point and that was something she was just born with. However, she did hear of professional girls who had their feet and bodies manipulated at young ages.

She claimed it was mainly an aesthetics thing, more so than anything else. IS this true?

A man at my dance store selling me my ballet slippers told me that the girls who go en pointe can only do so only if their feet can touch the ground. Which I thought was absurd but I didn't want to question him.

(Can you erase my other thread. Stupid computer refused to load when I posted, so I hit the refresh button and it made 2 topics instead of one.)
By UnderwaterBubblemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 20, 2014 05:39 AM
No it's not necessary. You need to have at least a straight line at the top of your ankle (say, if you rested a ruler along your foot/shin, your ankle shouldn't dip away from it when you pointe). That's the minimum range needed.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Tue May 20, 2014 06:10 AM
Dancers SHOULD be required to have enough ankle flexibility to stand on the platform of their pointe shoe with straight legs (which is the "straight ankle" UnderwaterBubble is talking about). I know teachers that have put dancers on without it, and it never goes well: they ride the back edge of their pointe shoes, and it can be unsafe and unflattering.

Flexibility past that is considered aesthetically pleasing, and a benefit to a dancer, however it doesn't have as much practical usage to change other parts of your dancing. There can be a little more leverage in jumps/leaps if the muscles are also strong, but otherwise it is just beautiful.
By Elindranythmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 20, 2014 10:08 AM
I doubt any of the girls I do pointe with have a full floor point, I know I don't. I've been doing pointe for three years, and my max range is just over what bubble mentions. I can easily get over my box and stay there. A more flexible foot can probably be helpful if you are trying to become a professional, as "the look" is considered in addition to ability, but not having that extreme flexibility hasn't held me back in my recreational pursuit of dance,
By Gavrilushka
On Wed May 21, 2014 03:32 AM
Unless you want to struggle in standard pointe shoes and will need to go custom every time and needing to buy new shoes every 2-3 weeks, you don't need a full floor pointe. It's a burden more than anything.
I 'naturally' have them due to hyperextended ankles so my instep is slightly curvier than straight, but it's my ankle's mobility that makes me touch the floor.

While sure it's easy to get up onto pointe, it's harder to stay up without feeling like you are going to fall out of your shoes or end up dancing with too much pressure on your forefoot.
It is not necessary at all! All you need is a straight line from ankle to pointe - a straight line is perfect actually in terms of stability and the range of pointe shoes you can have. Just as long as your ankles aren't so tight that your feet kind of 'stick up'.

And please don't attempt all the risky 'stretches' in the hopes it will make your feet archier like sticking them under a couch. A friend of mine got tendonitis that way and her tendon still freezes up sometimes making it hard to get off pointe 6 years later.
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 22, 2014 08:20 PM
I believe the answer, as others have said, is no.

But what I've learned is that you need to be able to hold the position (say, retiere) firmly and correctly for several counts before you can (should) perform said position en pointe.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 22, 2014 10:50 PM
No. What you want/need is a straight line from ankle to toe. When you are en pointe you want your toes to be straight. I've never had a floor pointe and my lines were always good.

My foot (No idea when this was), just to show it is not necessary:
Spoiler: Show

Image hotlink - 'http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/majere_photos/Dance/100_0162.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/majere_photos/Dance/Picture004.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/majere_photos/Dance/28145e03-361e-4168-bc92-f71e780b5b54_zps4d610e86.jpg'
By purpledancer03
On Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:03 AM
No one at my studio has a full floor pointe and everyone but one person in my class has their pointe shoes and that's because her ankles are not strong enough.
-purpledancer03

ReplySendWatch