Forum: Adults / Weddings

Weddings
Sooo....
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Mon May 19, 2014 10:42 PM

I'm getting married. To a boy.

And I couldn't be happier.

The thought of a wedding is incredibly scary. And wedding gowns are an awful lot of dress. But I've got time. We haven't even set a date yet, because this is all very, very new.

:)

12 Replies to Sooo....

re: Sooo....
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue May 20, 2014 10:03 AM
Happy Happy Happy engagement day. love love love
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Tue May 20, 2014 02:15 PM
Oh, that ring is beautiful. Congratulations! :)
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Tue May 20, 2014 02:54 PM
How wonderful! I wish you all the best. Your ring is absolutely gorgeous!
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue May 20, 2014 03:20 PM
Gorgeous!!! So many congratulations!
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Tue May 20, 2014 09:03 PM
Thank you, all!

The funniest thing about this is that, because our relationship has been long distance, so many people are surprised. Hell, I was surprised! We've talked about doing it and all that a bit in the last few months, but I didn't know he was thinking so presently. And I was also surprised by how much sense it made to me when he did.

It's cheesy to say it, but it really was the best night and weekend of my life. I had gone up to see him in a production of Harlequin (he was playing Pantalone), and during the cast party on closing night we were playing Cards Against Humanity. He played the "For my next trick, I will pull ____ out of ____." (For the record, the cards I played that round were "dickfingers out of poorly timed Holocaust jokes" - my two favorite cards, but he totally won with his ring out of a box - even if he didn't actually have cards that said either.) I would never have taken him seriously if he didn't actually pull out the ring.

I'm stupid happy and smitten. It hasn't totally sunk in yet.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Tue May 20, 2014 09:28 PM
Ahhh congrats!!! I can't believe I hadn't caught onto this, being fb friends and all! I'm super stoked for you! Mazal tov!
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed May 21, 2014 05:19 AM
Congratulations! What a lovely ring, and a great proposal, too! :D
On Wed May 21, 2014 07:21 AM
SaraTheGrouch wrote:

Ahhh congrats!!! I can't believe I hadn't caught onto this, being fb friends and all!

Lol! I'm not surprised you hadn't caught on to it on fb.

For starters, you've been dealing with a lot. Scott proposed within days of you losing your brother. I think that gives you a complete allowance to be distracted.

Also, we've been pretty quiet on social media since we first started dating last summer. The distance is complicated enough without adding the variables and drama of Facebook. Plus, I feel very strongly that I should share the news with my dad at least over the phone, if not face to face. (That my dad is blocked on my fb is irrelevant, because so much of my extended family is not, and that's just not how I want the news to travel to him.) My dad situation is... well, until December, I hadn't heard from him at all for almost a year, and I couldn't have called him myself because he changed his number and email address and told no one. Some then, he doesn't return his calls or answer his messages. So I've given up reaching out, but still want this news to reach him on my terms. Does that make sense? If I still haven't heard from him by the time we set the date and start making concrete plans, then... well, I'll cross that bridge when/if I get there. I'm hoping it doesn't happen that way, because I really want my daddy at my bedeken and chuppah. Especially the chuppah, since Scott's dad passed away a few years ago. But I digress. Again, will cross that bridge when/if I need to.

Yay!
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Wed May 21, 2014 07:45 AM
Bedeken?! Sounds like you're planning a modox wedding! I'm sorry your dad's being a shifty character (mine can be the same way). If you share more details, I promise I won't tell him ;)
On Wed May 21, 2014 08:56 AM
Edited by Lirit (28370) on 2014-05-21 09:21:02 Auto-correct fail
More conservadox than modox. Lol! Scott is Jewish, although he was raised Catholic. His maternal grandmother was shomer Shabbos, but mom got married in the Catholic Church. She's pretty ambivalent towards religion, but tied to the ritual of the church. So, while the traditional bits and pieces are obviously important to me, so is keeping it something both sides can relate to. It's going to take some planning and conversations with my (very frum) rabbi to see what we can do to make that happen.

The real question is, how long do I wait to talk to him, because you know how frummies feel about long engagements! But we're looking at at least a year, if not a little bit longer. Lol!
re: Sooo.... (karma: 1)
On Wed May 21, 2014 09:13 AM
Hehe, I do know how they feel about it, but I believe most decent Rabbis understand that it's not their life/wedding and they need to respect the wishes of their congregants. So, don't expect too much flack from him, lol. The congregation I grew up in was huge. My estimate is around 2,000 paying families. If you were having an event and wanted the Rabbi there, he needed to be notified nearly immediately, given that he often had to be in five places at the same time, due to the congregation size. I'd give him an informal heads up now and leave the big talk for when you guys have decided on a date.

Simcha music is playing in my head now. Thanks a lot! :P
On Wed May 21, 2014 09:22 AM
Fair point, but I do think we can at least wait until we have a less vague idea of a date to talk to the rabbi. Lol!

ReplySendWatch