Forum: Irish / Irish

College Irish Dance Club?
By eatsleepjigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 20, 2014 05:24 PM

I have a couple questions regarding starting an Irish dance club at my college and I was hoping I could get some answers.

1) In order to compete (ala Notre Dame/St. Mary's at All Irelands) do you need to be under a TMRF?

2) What's the best way to recruit and then start teaching non-Irish dancers?

3) Is it unrealistic to plan on doing the Intercollegiate Irish Dance Festival and a spring showcase in our first year?

I know that there are other (retired) Irish dancers on campus who might want to join and there is a general interest/intrigue. Also, this is slightly off-topic, but do any of you know if two colleges can share a student organization? My college basically overlaps with another (we co-op on some classes)and I know there are tons of Irish dancers there and that school's dance club is no longer active (I also plan on transferring after my first year and would hate to lose my club).

Woof, that was long. Any help or ideas are appreciated!

1 Replies to College Irish Dance Club?

re: College Irish Dance Club?
By kate_monster
On Thu May 22, 2014 06:46 AM
If you're going to All-Irelands, I think you do need to be under a TMRF. But I bet if there isn't one nearby, you could find one and have them coach you through the computer.

To recruit, you can sign up to be part of club fairs at your school, OR, even better, you can dance in the commons or just around campus. Draw attention to yourself and people will ask questions! That's how I got into irish dance! (saw a performance and started talking to them) Recommend doing hardshoe. That'll definitely draw in people.

I don't know anything about the Intercollegiate Irish Dance Festival, but I would think that a showcase with multiple people in your first year would be difficult. You could possibly take one or two for a small, solo-oriented dance though.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

ReplySendWatch