Forum: Competitions

Teen Cancer Solo
By bow_tie
On Tue May 20, 2014 08:41 PM

I am 15 and doing a solo this year. I wanted to do a cancer patient as the theme. I am looking for a deep & powerful song. I am manly a contemporary dancer. I want to portray actual cancer, not something happy. Any suggestions would really help. Thank you!

9 Replies to Teen Cancer Solo

re: Teen Cancer Solo
By artsinmovement
On Wed May 21, 2014 09:55 AM
We had a girl about your age do a similar style routine a couple years ago. She used an instrumental version of "This Woman's Work" which really allowed her to portray the character very well. Not sure who the song was by though.
By mm_dancer
On Wed May 21, 2014 10:40 AM
We have a dancer using the song Skin for a solo with this same theme.

www.youtube.com . . .
By MissSharon73
On Sat May 24, 2014 12:35 PM
Not sure if you can connect to these lyrics or not?

Sarah McLachlan's new song "Flesh and Blood", could be interpreted in this way?

Another darker song, is "My Skin" by Natalie Merchant. It could be really powerful!!
By lcorwin
On Tue Jul 08, 2014 09:22 AM
Human by Christina Perry
Fix You by Coldplay

My studio has done a Mitochondrial Disease themed performance to both of the songs above and they were beautiful
By IndyLei13
On Thu Jul 17, 2014 04:34 AM
Troye Sivan - Fault in Our Stars
Fragile - Delta Goodrem
By nereik
On Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:30 PM
I did a solo on this same topic, as a tribute to my cousin. I used the song Sara Beth by Rascal Flatts.
By jesslynn
On Sun Jul 20, 2014 01:21 AM
Look at the song Medicine.
My best friend lost her boyfriend to cancer when he was 19 and did a dance to this song as a tribute.
By TappingSarahPremium member
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:26 AM
One of my dancers did this last year. She used I'm gonna love you through it" by Martina Mcbride. We used the version from the music video with people actually talking about their experience with cancer during the song. My dancer recorded her voice at the beginning of the song and dedicated it to her aunt and grandma. It made me cry every time.
By ChristinePremium member
On Thu Jul 31, 2014 08:17 AM
I had a student who had multiple health issues. Last year was especially hard but when recital time came, she and another older girl did a beautiful lyrical number to Go The Distance from the Disney film Hercules.

It brought the house down.

Good luck

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch