Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Big toe gel pad
By Storm_Trouper
On Wed May 21, 2014 02:20 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2014-05-21 14:21:37

If the 2nd toe is slightly longer than the 1st, is the solution to wear a gel toe cap over the big toe? Or is this too pliable and squishy and cannot bear weight, so ineffective for compensating length differences? Is there a less compressive, high density appliance that is better suited to the issue?

3 Replies to Big toe gel pad

re: Big toe gel pad
By Noaisraeli
On Wed May 21, 2014 03:06 PM
Hi,
For a bigger second toe it is hard to find a right fitting pointe shoe and it might hurt. There are a loy of different solutions though. One of them is the gel pad you mentioned. Be sure to check if the toe is of equal length or slightly more than the second toe wearing the cap. Another solution is placing a kind of gel pad in between the toes to spread them a little and reduce the difference in length. Another solution is putting that kind of gel pad inside your pointe shoe. It won't be annoying to put on everytime. I recommend the last solution because it's the easiest one. For more information about this, watch the Gaynor Minden videos on youtube.
By Storm_Trouper
On Thu May 22, 2014 09:26 AM
The GM videos and FAQ are helpful.
By purpledancer03
On Fri Jun 06, 2014 02:41 PM
I have the same problem!! I cut the top off of a makeup wedge(the non pointy part) and stuck that in my toe pad. I like this because you can customize the height of the big toe pad. Where did you see(or buy) a big toe gel pad?

Hope I helped!! (I am kinda new)

ReplySendWatch