Forum: Advice / Beauty

Beauty
Eyebrows that grow DOWNwards
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu May 22, 2014 11:27 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-05-22 23:34:22
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-05-22 23:40:27

Does anyone have eyebrows that grow downwards instead of sideways? I know it is quite common for East Asian people to have eyebrows like this, including myself.
When I got my eyebrows done in Japan, they knew exactly what to do because eyebrows like this are so common. It was quite hard to find a waxer in America who could make my eyebrows thin, without making me look like I had Chola Style brows.
( considering that whites seem like the minority where I live, I was shocked that no one knew how to do my brows. They have numerous asian women like myself here.)

I have to trim them every week! I try using clear mascara, Vaseline, eyebrow gels but nothing holds them up like normal eyebrows. I just trim them short and use a powder and pencil to fill them in.
I used to go get mine waxed every 2 weeks because I had no idea how to trim them myself, but I quickly learned. My waxer said it is common for East asians to have hair like that, but she doesn't see it as much in other races,

So this got me thinking, does your eyebrow hairs grow down or sideways?
Any tips for people who have hair growing downwards? Besides trimming, how do you keep them tamed?

8 Replies to Eyebrows that grow DOWNwards

re: Eyebrows that grow DOWNwards
On Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 PM
Do you see how the ends are combed down? Mine look like that naturally, throughout the whole eyebrow.
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Fri May 23, 2014 06:27 AM
Edited by Josiane (144829) on 2014-05-23 06:28:58
Nevermind. I had not read your last paragraph
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Fri May 23, 2014 08:26 AM
You know, I've never thought about it. I had to run to mirror to check mine out! I actually have a mix. The main 'bulk' of my brows so to speak grow outwards to the side, but outside hairs on the top grow down and the hairs on the bottom grow up. Weird!

I'm actually due to have them waxed and I think when they are all cleaned up the extraneous top/bottom hairs are part of the crew that gets axed.

Since I learned how to do my brows as part of my makeup routine, I've become less anal about keeping them tamed. I don't do full face makeup all that often (only when I go out really), but get compliments on them when I do. So I guess I don't really have any suggestions besides that (which you've mentioned you already do). I say just hold on tight to your waxer and pray they don't go anywhere!
On Fri May 23, 2014 08:31 AM
Slice, that's interesting that you have a mixed bag!
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sat May 24, 2014 11:52 PM
Eeeek! I know your pain! I think when you're Caucasian and East Asian mixed it's even worse - the beautician just never knows what to do with you I find.

Typically they remove way too much from the bottom on Asian brows and don't remove much from the top which is kinda a big no. Generally you want to remove more from the top than the bottom when shaping Asian brows. Basically I've found that it's best to only touch the bottom when it comes to clean up, NOT when it comes to shaping. Asian brows are so thin anyway, there isn't much to be taking.
You're basically just going to have to trim, or try brushing your hairs upwards and sealing them with a tacky brow gel - Anastasia works best on me. There are also these waxy eyebrow products to fill in your brows. I think Too Faced makes one, haven't tried it, but it's out there. The wax is similar to spirit gum which is what drag queens use to keep their brows in place. :)
On Sun May 25, 2014 12:10 AM
^ Yes, I am the same way. I look white enough that I have a lot of Caucasian features ( no monolid, I have higher cheekbones , curly thin hair) but that is also mixed with other stereotypical East Asian features. I guess being mixed is a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestion for the Too Faced, I haven't tried that one yet so I will give it a try.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun May 25, 2014 10:17 AM
I have a mixed lot, too. The beginning of the brows nearest to my nose grow like they are supposed to (lol, I guess?) but as they get down to the ends the hairs seem to go crazy and grow straight out or up or down and some get kind of longish. I have to stay on top of my grooming or they can get out of hand.

kk~
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sun May 25, 2014 02:51 PM
You do what I do when I find someone with a hair cut/color that I love...awkwardly ask them where they get it done :P

ReplySendWatch