Forum: Adults / Parents Only

Parents Only
children going to playground by themselves
By misschristie Comments: 626, member since Thu Jul 25, 2002
On Fri May 23, 2014 01:24 PM

I'm curious what other parents feel is a good age to let children go to the playground by themselves?

9 Replies to children going to playground by themselves

re: children going to playground by themselves
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri May 23, 2014 02:45 PM
It really depends on where the playground is in relationship to where you live and how many children are going.
By misschristie Comments: 626, member since Thu Jul 25, 2002
On Fri May 23, 2014 03:29 PM
Playground is less than a block from home and 2 blocks from babysitters, children are twins almost 8. The playground is at their school, which they walk to and from 5 days a week.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri May 23, 2014 05:52 PM
I think it depends on the city you live in and even what part of a city you live in. We would have allowed that around the age of 12-13. Our son had a cell phone at age 12 because he drove his bike to school each day and we wanted to make sure he had a way to get in touch with us if something happened.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri May 23, 2014 11:56 PM
Eight years old? No way by themselves even if it is a block away.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sat May 24, 2014 12:31 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2014-05-24 00:34:06
When I was small, 8 years old, with a "buddy", was ok. We went to the playground 6 blocks away and played for hours without any problems.

That was a long, long, time ago.

And even though we all did it all the time, when I was in 6th grade, my friend and her sister met a flasher at the school yard after hours in a very small, family friendly town. The cop told our parents, "If you want to rob a bank, you go to a bank, if a pervert wants to flash a kid, they go to the playground" Even then, they knew.

I think many younger kids are smart enough to be careful, but the fact is, creeps are everywhere and kids are no match for them. If you feel it is safe for your kids to go to the playground for a short while alone, just be sure you review all the rules about stranger danger EVERY time they go. Make sure they ALWAYS have a buddy and have a plan to get to an adult quickly if they need help. Check up on them often, especially when they don't expect it.

Perverts aren't the only problem... older kids.... even usually "good kids" can be tempted to bully smaller kids where there is a golden opportunity. Again... check up often.

Good luck

Keep On Dancing*
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Sat May 24, 2014 02:41 AM
A lot depends upon the maturity of the child and how safe your city/town is. Even in a safe neighborhood I went with my kids until about age 11 and they had to have a friend and phone with them later on. Walking to school was different because lots of kids and parents were around and they typically walked with a groups of friends. At the playground there might not be anyone else around.
By dance4ballet Comments: 1202, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Sat May 24, 2014 03:32 AM
I used to walk to the playground and shops by myself or with my brother, when I had only just turned seven.

Walked across to the neighbours, down the street, down the block, rose my bike etc. Times were so different then though.
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Sat May 24, 2014 08:35 AM
When I was 8 me and my friends would finish school and play everywhere, we just had to be home when the street lights came on. But times were different then. It does depend on the area you live in and the maturity of the kids. I live in a town house complex and I let my 5 year olds play in the green space with their friends, because I can still hear them in my backyard. Maybe by 8 I would let them go to the playground, but it's in our complex surrounded by other houses.
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 440, member since Thu Apr 01, 2010
On Sat May 24, 2014 09:04 AM
We (my twin and I) walked to and from school from the time we were 8. But we lived in a very safe city, and it's much more common for kids to do things like that here. You even see 10 year olds taking the subway themselves if they go to school downtown but live in the suburbs. Even I probably wouldn't let my 10 year old commute ;)

ReplySendWatch