Forum: Adults / College

College
Completing minor into a major post-graduation?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sun May 25, 2014 02:26 PM

Anyone know if it's possible? I graduated May 2013 with my bachelor's. My minor was in history, and unbeknownst to me until it was too late, I was only two classes short of having that minor be a second major. I am still enrolled in the same university for graduate school, and my final semester (this fall) will be a light one. It would be wonderful if I could finish those two classes and graduate with my history BA as well.

Obviously there may be some difference between schools, and I already emailed the history department. Alas, the holiday weekend is driving me crazy and I thought I'd turn here and see if anyone had any working knowledge or experience with this.

5 Replies to Completing minor into a major post-graduation?

re: Completing minor into a major post-graduation?
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Sun May 25, 2014 02:40 PM
Typically, you cant be enrolled as both a Graduate and Undergraduate at the same time, which is the only hang up I see in your plan. At my school, a second Bachelor degree can be earned if you reapply after graduation for a Dual Baccalaureate. Once accepted, you just take whatever classes you need for the second degree.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sun May 25, 2014 02:44 PM
Tea wrote:

Typically, you cant be enrolled as both a Graduate and Undergraduate at the same time, which is the only hang up I see in your plan. At my school, a second Bachelor degree can be earned if you reapply after graduation for a Dual Baccalaureate. Once accepted, you just take whatever classes you need for the second degree.

I definitely didn't take that into consideration. One of my friends graduated at the same time I did with both a bachelor's and graduate degree, but I know that he had special circumstances (had completed several credits ahead of time, was brilliant, etc). I'm off to chat with him to see if it was a special arrangement or if it's something anyone can do.
On Mon May 26, 2014 09:50 PM
The registrar got in touch with me! If I complete the two courses necessary, he will amend my records to show that I double majored. That way, we don't run into the issue of me trying to get enrolled as an undergrad again.

I'm very, very excited. I have to take a modern Chinese history course which doesn't thrill me (I've always been very into European history), and I have to take a research class. I emailed my first choice professor to see about getting into their class, so hopefully it works out. I keep thinking that it won't be worth the effort, but I know that it can theoretically make a difference (B.A. in History vs a minor in it) and this is my one and only shot to do it, since I graduate in December.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Mon May 26, 2014 10:32 PM
Glad you got the answer you wanted! Good luck.
On Wed May 28, 2014 01:42 PM
And, just like that, the Chinese history course was canceled and there are no other classes that fulfill the requirements. I'm not all that upset, because now I get to enjoy a VERY leisurely fall semester.

ReplySendWatch